Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

L. Meadow - all messages by user

5/10/2017 12:07:34 AM
Love for the Moment Ok, the first that immediately leaps out is theincorrect use of enjambment. Enjambment is the insertion of a new poetical linewithin the grammatical line/sentence for emphasis. Normally the emphasis fallson the first and last word of each line of poetry. When you force a line breakinto the line, it forces the reader's attention onto the 'new' last word.

So looking at your poem - what was it youwanted to emphasize about the words in bold?

I get
Addicted
To her
Novocaine
Moments,
The times where
She makes
Everything
Quiet.
She lights fires
In places I can’t
See,
Burns tattoo-like
Days into my palms
So I’ll never forget.
And I won’t.

Take my hand
And
I’ll swallow you
Like an angry
God-
A distant
God-
One

I can’t find
Myself
Believing in.

Then,
Tap into my
Soul
Like a maple tree,
It bleeds out
Memories
And heartbreak
Hopefulness,
Like this time
It will be
Different.

No two
Loves
Are the same,
Or even
Comparable-
I’d say I love you now
For who you are
Currently,
Just as some don’t love
Anymore
For who I have
Become.
But,

I’d say,
I love you
Wholeheartedly.

I’d say,
Take this kiss-
It’ll be different tomorrow,
Or even today,
In the late afternoon-
But
Just like how vines grow
Together up poles
I’d say I want to grow
With you,
Together,
Entwined like vines
Or wires
Or cotton fibers-
I just know that
Things do grow
Apart,
Too.

I’d say,
You burn brighter.
But fuses burn bright
When they burst
And I’m more wary now
Than ever
About love that feels like
Fire,
About a touch that burns
Deeper
Than cooling charcoal
Embers-
I want
Something
That feels like peace
Or serenity
Or maybe
Just a quiet spot
Somewhere
Away from all these
People,
My thoughts.

I deal in
Some days,
Which is to say
That I dream of a
Love to be,
Which is to say
That I love the idea
Of tomorrow
More than living today,
Or remembering
Yesterday
And if I remember
Any of this,
Of you and I,
It’s because you are
Something
I never wanted to
Forget.

So let's put the emphasis on words that DO matter with adifferent set of line breaks. And we are going to take out all the words thatmean nothing like 'and' and 'that' and other prepositions and conjunctions.

I get addicted
To her Novocaine Moments,
She makes everything quiet.
She lights fires
In places I can’t see,
Burns tattoo-like days
into my palms so I’ll neverforget.
And I won’t.

Take my hand
I’ll swallow
you like an angry God-
A distant God-
One Ican’t find myself believing.

Tap into mySoul
Like a maple tree,
It bleeds out memories
And heartbreak
Hopefulness,
Like this time
It will be different.

No two loves
Are the same,
Or even comparable-
I’d say I love you now
For who you are
Just as some don’t love
me anymore
For who I have Become.
But, I’d say,
I love you wholeheartedly.

I’d say,
Take this kiss-
It’ll be different tomorrow,
Or even today,
In the late afternoon-
Just like how vines grow
Together up poles
I’d say I want to grow
With you, together,
Entwined like vines
Or wires
Or cotton fibers-
I just know that
Things do grow
Apart.

I’d say,
You burn brighter.
But fuses burn bright
When they burst
And I’m more wary now
Than ever
About love that feels like fire,
About a touch that burns deeper
Than cooling charcoal embers-
I want
Something
That feels like peace
Or serenity
Or maybe
Just a quiet spot
Somewhere
Away from all these people,
My thoughts.

I deal in
Some days,
Which is to say
I dream of a love to be,
Which is to say
I love the idea
Of tomorrow
More than living today,
Or remembering
Yesterday
If I remember
Any of this,
Of you and I,
It’s because you are
Something
I never wanted to forget.

Some other hints – there are still places that are justwaffle, empty words. Condense this poem into no more than two verses – distill yourthoughts down to the finest refinement of them – and you have something!
5/10/2017 12:09:25 AM
Love for the Moment Sorry for the weird formatting. I had to do this in word and then copy/paste it over because the text box here is too small and can't be enlarged. For some reason it ignored spaces in some places.
5/10/2017 12:20:34 AM
The Weight of Living it's certainly on the edge of something amazing. The imagery is strong and graphic, although some doesn't make sense. Why are the statues 'salacious'? and the image of the dripping sun falling into your open mouth? Also you have suddenly changed from first person to second person.

Silence slams again and again
Into already bleeding eardrums,
Reminding me
Just how much can change
When a single light
Is snuffed out
And shadows creep into the spaces
Where a softly flickering star
Used to glow.

Even the white noise
Hovering at the edges of my vision
Has disappeared,
Replaced by something so deeply wrong,
The entire floor feels
As though it’s tilting;
Falling e̶v̶e̶r̶ slowly to t̶h̶e̶ one side
a̶n̶d̶ depositing its salacious (?) statues
Into a widening void.

Let the dripping sun (?)
Fall into your my open mouth,
Depositing the last vestiges of life
Over a plain of darkening bruises
Blossoming o̶v̶e̶r̶ in reality
a̶n̶d̶ distorting fantasy.

At very least that should give you some ideas of where this still needs work.
5/10/2017 9:40:56 AM
The Weight of Living however "synonymous" salacious and lecherous are, they do not mean the same at all.

Salacious:
arousing or appealing to sexual desire or imagination

Lecherous:
given to or characterized by lechery; lustful.

"Salacious" refers to attracting sexual attention. She licked her lips salaciously and crooked her finger at her mark. While "lecherous" refers to the act of giving sexual attention. He leered at the young woman lecherously.

And as for the rest of your response - if you don't want help, don't invite critique. Every point you felt you needed to explain, is a point that needs work. If those are not evident in your poem. If I 'missed' them, it's not because I'm a "stupid" reader, it's because you didn't write them.

edited by L. Meadow on 5/10/2017
5/10/2017 11:47:24 AM
Nobel Prize Winner? hmm may I suggest that a diatribe does not a good poem make?
5/15/2017 12:33:35 AM
Nobel Prize Winner? it genuinely does not read as humourous. The tone is, not exactly angry, but dismissive, putting down. And most certainly reads like a moan -

NOBEL PRIZE WINNER?

Nasal, sand paper gritty voice. - this is a put down
Why did he win the literature Nobel?
“The answer my friend” may be
“blowin’ in the wind.” i.e. you have no idea why he won

What were the Swedes thinking - again dismissive, no respect for their choice
when they voted, what were they on? - had to have been 'on' something to make the choice they did
Probably sat around saying
“everybody must get stoned.” only people high on something would do this

Some probably opposed the vote
How could it be unanimous? such a poor choice some MUST have disagreed
The yeas said “don’t stand in the
doorway, don’t block up the hall.” so they were coerced into agreeing

The chair tried to contact this
great man of counterculture sounds sarcastic
poetry. No response. The notice
on his website taken down. he blew them off

Surly, snarling, reclusive. he is not a nice person
His thought might have been
“Go away from my window……
I’m not the one you need.” he rejected them proving they were wrong

Will he come to Stockholm?
Will he stay hidden?
Perhaps we should ask
Quinn the mighty Eskimo. sarcastic tone again - who knows if he will go accept his award and basically we don't care if he does.

So you might want to reconsider the tone in which this is written, because any humour in it is being lost.
5/17/2017 12:03:52 PM
Nobel Prize Winner? And here we go again.

IF you do NOT want critique, can't accept critique and think the poem is wonderful the way it is then DO NOT POST IT FOR CRITIQUE
5/17/2017 12:05:21 PM
Poetry Criticism - by - Bob Atkinson All the people who do not understand that critique means that people will not be saying 'oh that's nice'.
5/17/2017 2:32:41 PM
How do you feel? Please help. "We" is incorrect and it should be "us".

"We" is used when it is the subject and "us" when it is the object.

You are also missing a comma

and soften the hearts of us, the cursed dead,

You also have a tense issue:-

released (line 1) past tense

touches (line 2) is present tense

to cool (line 3) and 'to relieve (line 4) are future tense
5/18/2017 9:52:19 AM
Poetry Criticism - by - Bob Atkinson The ONLY response to critique is thank you or please explain/expand. IF you are motivated to benefit from critique and engage in a discussion with someone intent on helping where you work together to express what you are trying to say in the best clearest way possible then that's also OK, but arguing with a critique because it upset your notion that was nothing wrong in the first place - then a critique group is not for you.
5/18/2017 7:50:52 PM
The Tell One of the first things to learn about poetry (besides the fact that it doesn't have to rhyme) is that every word must have a purpose and add something to the line. If you can delete a word without changing the meaning then one should do so.

These words are known as expletives or 'empty' words.

Expletives are words or phrases that do not add any structural or grammatical meaning to the sentence. These words and phrases are often referred to as empty words, meaningless phrases, or redundant pairs because they do not add any information to the sentence.

Some common "empty" words are:

all articles (a/an, the)
all conjunctions
adverbs

It depends on context and the sentence/line, but one of the first things to do is go through your poem line by line and see which words you can delete without changing the meaning. Then delete them. This will immediately give your poem more punch.

The Tell

The hill stood on its plain for eons
between mountains and sea,
Still, quiet, barren,
As wind blew across
And stars shifted in their courses,

A hunter returning from the hunt
Eight thousand years ago
Saw the spring at its base
Lived on its summit then died.

Other people came later; settled on the hill
Built a village,
After many years,
A small city,
Then, for unknown reasons, left.

Many more cities were built on the hill:
Walled cities that lived for a while
But in their turn burnt and destroyed
By great armies from distant empires,
Or simply abandoned.

Each destroyed city,
Each abandoned city
Left behind a layer of debris
Of collapsed buildings and toppled walls.
So, slowly, the hill grew.

But each time, a new city
Built atop the remains of the older ones
By new peoples
Drawn to the hill by its spring
And its promise of refuge.

Canaanite merchants, Hittite soldiers, Hebrew prophets,
Assyrian generals, Greek stone cutters,
Byzantines, Saracens, Crusaders;
Each in their time came
And left an imprint on the hill before passing on.

But there came a day
The ground shifted
The spring dried up.
The people moved away,
No one ever came to rebuild there again. *rebuild and again are redundant, use one or the other*

The wind blew across it,
The dust settled
Buried its streets and walls.
Once more
The hill stood still and quiet.

Until
Men and women from a distant university
Came to dig down through its layers,
To find and to bring to light the ancient traces
Of the life that once lived there.

There are still problems with whole phrases that are weak e.g. 'for awhile', and really the whole poem doesn't have any great meaning or emotional impact. It is not a good narrative poem either because it does not tell a good story.

Think about the emotional core of what you want to say is. When you think of the tell, of the weight of its history - what do you feel? Try to convey that feeling to the reader through your poem.
5/18/2017 8:34:07 PM
How to use the correct structure for my poetry Um epub is a file type so I don't really understand the question. You can't 'upload' the files to epub only convert them.
5/19/2017 6:51:22 AM
PROPER CRITIQUE ETTIQUETTE When you invite critique on your work, you are saying "please help me make this better", or "please help me be a better writer". The motivation of the person who responds to that request is to help.

Now sometimes that help might be more in depth than others. Some will be more useful than others, but make no mistake, the intent is to help to the best ability of the person critiquing.

So what should your response be?

#1 Do NOT ARGUE with the person who offered critique .Nor should you try to justify your choices no matter how wrong the criitique may seem to you. Many workshops / critique groups have strict rules about not responding to any critique except to say thank you.

#2 No matter how much you may disagree with a critique, wait until your emotions subside and read it again quietly. Try to evaluate the critique unemotionally.

#3 Evaluate the criticique. Was there anything useful in it? Does it teach you anything? Does it suggest a new way of looking at your work. You may not like the exact ideas put forward, but do they make you think differently than you did before? Is there anything at all you can take from it and use to make your poem better?

#4 Understand that the critiquer's perspective on the poem is that of an outsider. Things that are obvious to you, the writer, are not obvious to them. Even if they ask what seems to be a silly question, understand that the question arose because something in your writing was not clear. The way they receive your words is that of a reader coming to the work cold. They do not know you, they do not know what you know about the work. And they can't know. If you feel compelled to explain what they don't know, but which you know, then there is a problem with the writing. You aren't sitting on the shoulder of every reader waiting at the ready to explain what you meant by a certain word of phrase and 'oh wait, that actually means ..' EVERY question or bit the critiquer doesn't understand is because you didn't write it well enough.

#5 Critique is not a personal attack. Yes your work is your baby that you shed blood, sweat and tears to get on the page, but you also knew that it might not be as perfect as it can be, so you asked for help. Someone took the time and made the effort to attempt to help. They aren't maliciously attempting to attack you personally. Try to remember that. And if you do get upset - see #1.
5/19/2017 2:46:46 PM
PROPER CRITIQUE ETTIQUETTE dWite wrote:
I like this, and I agree. I personally welcome critique on my writing. I welcome it on the 'normal' and I would welcome it here. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.#

Your point #4 I would like to add or argue that some poems are deliberately kept vague, not everything should have to be explained, some ambiguity is attractive.

If it is needed to be able to give decent critique, yes then I agree
edited by dWite on 5/19/2017

I know this is going to sound like an oxymoron, but even if it is 'vague' in one sense, it should still be clear what the author is aiming to express.
pages: 1