Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

OP Threat // God - all messages by user

6/4/2017 3:02:54 PM
How do we write a poem? What I usually do is go about my everyday life and at different times get in these brief moods of trying to create something. I often find inspiration from watching a good movie, life experiences, different things people tell me that make an impression on me, etc, etc. Most of the time how I start writing a poem or a song or short story is while i'm going about my day sometimes I try to imagine characters that sometimes do or don't relate to anyone I know (or don't know,) in real life, I can try to make them favorable, despicable, or really give them any type of traits I want because everyone somehow, someway will relate to something (or hold a common grudge, fear, or delight, or confusion or whatever to someone, or something.) Then I try to imagine the characters I put into words; how could if I was reading the poem somehow make the characters come to life for the readers in a way that is not too boring and blatant, usually. That is one of the ways I go about starting a poem/song etc. Another way is I could just be outside on a walk, at the pool swimming, playing sports with friends, applying for a job, etc, than I just get this one theme in my head that I think I could really work and have fun with. Or, I simply think of a good line or two, base my loosely or heavily on it, and then put the line(s) at the start, end, middle, or not even include it in the poem I based off it. My most recent poem as of June 4th is something I based off a line of dialogue I imagined between a girl and a boy, who are boyfriend and girlfriend, and how they are both liars and cheaters. Originally the poem was going to include this line as the ending of it;

She said she'd seen the light

I said; "What did you just say?"

She said she seen the light,

then got up and ran away

This is what I based my recent poem off, loosely. Originally, This was going to be the focal point of the piece, but after I started writing poetry based off of this, I went a slightly different direction with how I wanted to write it and end the poem. Sometimes I will make this thought the main point, general theme and title, but other times it is just an idea to get me started.

Those two ways are how I get started writing about 90% of the time. How I continue writing varies, but I stereo-typically do it a couple ways.

1.) I often give supporting thoughts to the theme of the poem

2.) Continue the rhymes carefully and creatively (my poems rhyme.)

3.)Re-read stanzas, think about how others would perceive them

4.) Have fun, or else I may save it for later or drop it completely

This is how I basically write my poetry. Everyone is unique and has their own style, perception, ways of going about things, outlets of inspiration, etc. Do you when making your poems, it is a beautiful form of art and could mean something completely different too two different people who read it.
6/6/2017 11:04:56 PM
Hello! I'm young and new here Hello there, very nice to see more youth throughout this community to complement our wise elders and experienced adults!!! I am a 16 year old poet from somewhere in the world
6/6/2017 11:21:25 PM
Though I joined in March, I would still like to in -troduce myself. Here it goes.

My birth name is irrelevant. Though most peers and people in general call me "OP", that is what I like to be called. I am a 16 year old write/poet/songwriter/ self-proclaimed amazing man. I started out at first writing rap/hip-hop lyrics in my journal around 8th grade, but my parents looked through it and found very explicit lyrics and suggestive themes throughout. I still write many songs like that, and I defended myself correctly by saying it's simply art and nothing more, or less. My love for writing short stories started probably all the way back to second grade, when I was living with my grandma I would write stories all the time. I remember one lone simile from my second-third grade stories at my grandmas; "The man was delivered a brutal strike to the nose, and the blood was running out of it like a faucet." Why I remember this? Who knows.

My love for poetry, though, came more recently. I just stumbled upon this website one day and struck gold, I'm so thankful I found it. I always really liked reading poems, opposed to many of my classmates, even though i'm I guess what you could call a class clown many times in my classes. I then just started writing poetry and got hooked, man is it a beautiful thing to read and write.

I go to a high school in the bay area of California, USA. I used to live up north, in Washington. Aside from my love for writing, I enjoy playing basketball, watching cartoons, listening to music, talking to women (and men, but not in a sexual way lol,) and hanging out with friends.

I have ADHD, I take very strong medicine which I hate because it makes my mind blank and I lose all creativity until it wears off later in the day.

All in all, i'm just a nice, fun guy. Say hi to me sometime!!
pages: 1