Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

smarty - all messages by user

2/26/2016 9:49:32 PM
Poems. Some happy,some sad, some to make you glad. Hello lady and gentlemen poets. I never really was poetic, nor a great writer, many say I still am not. I will admit I am not a good proof reader, as do notice the odd, few (Fingers crossed) mistakes, my natural speaking assistant Dragon and I, occasionally pass on to the publishers. Writing has become a way of life with me now. I have numerous scraps of paper, with mainly poems about some news item, as a lot of my poems are based on daily happenings. It was not until I had written for my own sanity about my hospital trips, I saw a poetic flow and joined all of you aspiring poets. Writing is one thing, publishing vastly different. I sent manuscripts to agents as publishers here in the UK require, many came back unopened with note saying the agent was not taking on any new writers. So what hope was there for us new ones? Unless you are a millionaire already and not many of us, me included, can afford going directly to a publisher, or can you? I found my way into the complicated web of the internet. It still is complicated to me as I blunder from one site to the other. However I found a publishing site called, 'feedaread,' which offered FREE advice on how to set up a book on line. I took a month passing my first book 'A patient from Papworth,' back and forth so many times, you would not believe it. I altered this word and that sentence. Then made a plain cover, although since found how to get a photo on the cover, or indeed use a FREE template. I love that FREE word as am an old person reliant on me pension. Anyway the book was finally published and i had not spent a penny. Pounds on paper and ink cartridges mind. I did pay a reduced amount for my Authors copy, received in the post, very quickly and wow, my first book in print. I was elated. Getting use to the internet site and facing my second operation, which between you and me, I did not think I would survive. I rather rashly self published a short story about Smarty a Fictional Search and Rescue Dog with a local publisher. They have all vanished all 1.000 of them. For some unexplained reason, I survived the operation and found poetry. By this time I was well and truly bitten by the writing bug, that was three years ago. I am now 72 and have five Poetry Books on line. I have sold a few copies, I know as I bought them myself. Then I found a small book shop, for a fee of 40% he took 6, has sold 5, he does not pay me until all are sold. I'm so tempted to buy that last one myself. I doubt there will be any royalties on the internet sales in April. However, if you want to see your book in print, for the price of well less than a fast food meal almost. I can really recommend you give one of the FREE to publish internet sites a look. If you want to make a fortune, sorry cannot help you as the advertising is up to you, unless you enter a more costly menu some sites offer. As you might know advertising is costly and I am the man that likes that word FREE. Somewhere on 'feedaread' I now have fourteen books floating about. Oh yes two are on the Amazon, not the river, the internet sales site. Mind you they might as well be on the river, as I fear they might have sunk. Anyway. guess what all my relatives get for Christmas ? I hope this is of some use to anyone thinking of self publishing. I will give you one piece of advice. DO NOT rely on your own proof reading. If you can afford it professionals are well worth that investment. If like me that FREE word comes to the fore, because your broke. Write a list of your friends out and starting at the top, ask if they will proof read it for you. I have a problem as do not have fourteen friends now. lol. Sorry if this is a bit long. that's the trouble with some of us writers , never know when to stop. Have a nice poetic day, and if you can please feel FREE to check my books out, I will write the link to the internet site. Good luck if you decide to publish and thank you in advance, if you dare buy one of me books, mistakes and all. Just remember I was a tad high on me morphine at the time lol again. Before you go to sleep, bother Dragon has. Here is the link to the internet Publishing site I use. www.feedaread.com?>aff=6463. Happy searching. God Bless. Stanley Russell Harris (The mad Author.) PS I have proofread this numerous times and still am editing lol
edited by smarty on 2/26/2016
pages: 1