Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Emkatster - all messages by user

12/12/2014 11:30:55 PM
First PS submission ... Please critiqe You definitely have a poet's heart! And a vocabulary! I'm not one to critique others, as I've only been published in a vanity college collection (I paid). But I know what captures my poetic senses!
12/13/2014 12:02:24 AM
Call for Submissions Jumped on, popped out three stream of consciousness pieces, just for fun! Heck even having someone read something I wrote feels great!
12/13/2014 12:12:20 AM
Poets wanted for new magazine Well I'm home unemployed and disabled while caring for my chronically ill daughter...for some reason I'm feeling like returning to writing. Not a lengthy writer, more of a verbal impressionist. With some exceptions. Count me in, sounds like fun and good practice.
12/13/2014 12:14:36 AM
Some missing masterpieces! It flows and is full of meaning. Poe would have laughed at this analysis I think. Sometimes art doesn't fit between the lines...it creates its own.
12/13/2014 12:19:09 AM
What is your style? Usually seems to write itself in rhyme, which I think is great for attracting children to the beauty of language..I have a lot of Ogden Nash-like poems about animals with kids in mind .that's what naturally flows from me.
Occasionally I don't rhyme, I think adults prefer non-rhyming, particularly these days. But it seems adult poetry is so grim! I would be great at greeting cards and lyrics!
12/13/2014 12:21:20 AM
EDGAR ALLAN POE!!!! Poe was great of course. But I'm more of a R.L. Stevenson fan, I like children's poetry. Simple and beautiful. What a contrast, eh?
12/13/2014 12:28:53 AM
To become a writer.... Not all my poetry comes from terrible experiences but here's what can happen when a young girl hitchhikes:

Breaking The Surface ( a dramatization)

He binds my hands and wrists behind me
struggling to escape I see
the fury of the coming storm
arising high beyond the trees

I know too well the chance I take
when I accept a stranger's ride
beneath my knees, cold earth awaits
for this will be the night I die

As the growing black enfolds me
stars are blinking far above
Goodbye, earth and sky and music
Goodbye, everyone I love

Something murmurs very gently
while I spiral further down
voice and spirit leave my body
as in Death's dark pool I drown

Just before my flame's extinguished
what, I wonder, is my purpose?
with that riddle left to answer
I fight hard and break the surface

Breathe again the cool, moist air
feel my own blood fill my mouth
gasping for the breath I lost
as my life almost flickered out

As I look about I find
to my relief, I'm quite alone
with ragged edges of my mind
I think of those who wait at home

Lying still beneath the pale moon,
waiting for the sun to rise
knowing Dawn approaches soon,
I think about the night I died

And though I almost left this world
I'm far too numb to feel the fear
I realize because of me
a fool was almost buried here

(c) 1995, 1998 by Kate Ginsberg
edited by Emkatster on 12/13/2014
12/13/2014 1:01:47 AM
Has anyone else had poetry deleted by PoetrySoup? Reminds me of this a bit:

God is a concept
by which we measure our pain

John Lennon (duh)
12/13/2014 2:36:30 PM
Channeling creativity - with no re-writes I notice that my best poems write themselves...I almost feel like I just received them as if I'm a radio. And sometimes I'm not even sure what they mean! Sometimes one comes out, I write it down and then cry. Does anyone else experience this? Only seems to be the case in shorter poems, which is what I usually "write" (I almost feel like I'm cheating!). And if you're going to say God, let me warn you that I'm an Atheist. Not opposed to the idea of a higher power, just don't think it's a wizard with magical powers. But I digress and here's an example I submitted to the three line poetry site:

Only a mind unfurled
can reach the hidden kernel
of another

(c) 2014 by Kate Ginsberg/Three Line Poetry

Again, if somebody knows what this means, I don't quite. My guess is a psychologist or some enlightened person???? Kinda sounds like something from the old Kung Fu series, lol. I see the truth in it, I think. Besides, this is what it wanted to say.
12/13/2014 3:09:12 PM
Please critique this poem, it made me write it! Sat down, and received this just now...

Weed

Entwined
Like a snake wrapped around my cerebrum
spiraling away my thoughts

Breaking free
as tendrils fall away
desiccated vines
revealing fresh green growth beneath

(c) copyright 2014 by Kate Ginsberg

Well it certainly seems to flow well......
12/15/2014 1:01:15 PM
Please critique this poem, it made me write it! Fail to find purpose in your poem. Doesn't tell me anything I don't already know. You didn't have to research the subject to write it? "

For some reason I find this amusing. What do you think it tells you that you already know? Do you think it's about gardening? What subject would I have researched? But you're right, it's a personal impression of an emotional experience, a very real one. And thanks. I needed an objective analysis. The purpose for me is expressing my feelings. Lol. It's about my mind re-awakening.
12/16/2014 4:15:23 AM
Please critique this poem, it made me write it! Thanks I'm glad someone likes it. It's about the kind of weed that inhibits your thoughts. Nothing complicated. What are abstractions of thoughts? I think you guys are too complicated for me. It's been almost 25 years since I discussed meter, form, etc. I just write what I feel. But I'm coming out of my fog. Have some reading to do. And Mr. A, poetry is art, not carpentry! Go ahead and critique this one (not mine). Know who wrote it?

A Cloud withdrew from the Sky
Superior Glory be
But that Cloud and its Auxiliaries
Are forever lost to me

Had I but further scanned
Had I secured the Glow
In an Hermetic Memory
It had availed me now.

Never to pass the Angel
With a glance and a Bow
Till I am firm in Heaven
Is my intention now.
12/16/2014 3:55:20 PM
Please critique this poem, it made me write it! That certainty clarifies things. I respect your view. I believe in freedom of expression. Love history and science and I suck at math. I guess it depends on your purpose in writing. Some poetry is just self-expression (ok indulgence too) and other poetry can be instructive and enlightening, especially if accessible to many others. I also write rhyming children's poetry, which I'm sure you'd hate. But it's not for grim adults, it's for engaging kids and instilling in them a love of language. And not everyone can read Homer. What about people for whom English is a second language or those who haven't been fortunate enough to afford a formal education? I do enjoy this discussion though. We need poets like you too! And we aren't moving forward in the evolutionary cycle until all people are treated equally regardless of skin color, etc. The revolutionary cycle. Sorry feeling very political these days. Maybe I'll try writing about that! Nervous about "form" after all those years of medical transcription, ugh that can ruin a writer's English undoubtedly! Funny my job was so exacting. Maybe my writing rebels against that!
edited by Emkatster on 12/16/2014
12/16/2014 11:00:58 PM
Please critique this poem, it made me write it! Thanks this is very valuable insight. How do you research for your poem? Assume if it's historical, you research the subject? What else, I want to learn more. I actually have not written much for many years. Finally unemployed and disabled and I have some time now. Take care and happy Holidays!
pages: 1