Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

surpriseguest - all messages by user

3/15/2024 8:11:28 PM
Hi everyone Hi I'm Ryan.

I'm not sure what to say.

I've always liked writing poems. Not entirely sure from where such a proclivity emerged. Possibly because most of family are readers, though I'm not, I very much appreciate language. I'm terrible with grammar though. My inspiration generally comes from depression sometimes love or the loss of it (hence depression). Sometimes it's just something that sounds good (Minor distractions, 1999?). I'm glad I found this site and it's been good to read others works. Feel free to critique or comment I'm not fussed. Have a good day/night.
edited by surpriseguest on 3/16/2024
edited by surpriseguest on 3/16/2024
3/17/2024 1:41:29 AM
critique (Janus) She's a goddess, true poetry in motion.
The kind that has you sacrificing yourself in devotion.
Hypnotised, I move her sway.
With no question of acceptance, live to dance in her ballet.
I found a light, a beacon of perfection.
Then once I'm at worst I find it's lies and misdirection.

edited by surpriseguest on 3/17/2024
3/25/2024 8:50:09 PM
EXISTENTIALIST POEM wow! That was amazing.
3/26/2024 9:59:55 AM
A new poem Ask yourself these questions.

How much of what I'm saying is relevant to what I'm trying to express? (Do you feel the tone creates or eludes to the appropriate atmosphere).

Have I painted myself into a corner with a given line or line of thought, that strays from the initial sentiment? (Deviating from the context because you like or want to use a particular word/line).

Am I committing to a word/line only because I like the sound of it?

Am I rhyming for the sake of it? (has my phrasing left me in a predicament where the word I'm rhyming with has few or no viable options contextually)

Am I forcing it? (Do you feel each line appropriately. Also are you in the mood to actually write).

Am I entirely happy with the result? (though everyone is their own biggest critic).

Always remember, you don't have to write it all at once and you can always edit however you see fit.

These are the main things I've grappled with over time

Take them as guidelines if you so choose, or the ravings of a madman.

I'm not going to tell you how/what to write that's entirely up to you.

At the end of the day its poetry, it's expression there's no right or wrong.

Though I do understand whether it be for someone or catharsis, you want it to be right by you.

Hope that helped in some manner.

If not, feel free say.
pages: 1