You have an ad blocker! We understand, but...

PoetrySoup is a small privately owned website. Our means of support comes from advertising revenue. We want to keep PoetrySoup alive, make it better, and keep it free. Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on PoetrySoup. See how to enable ads while keeping your ad blocker active. Also, did you know you can become a PoetrySoup Lifetime Premium Member and block ads forever...while getting many more great features. Take a look! Thank you!

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » poetry forms

Ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas how to write better.
1/30/2012 9:08:17 AM

Wesley Evans
I'm curious how others here use different poetry forms.
I'm just starting out writing and I've been experimenting with a bunch of different forms. I would assume that others do the same, but do you eventually find a particular form and stick with it or is poetry for you a constant series of experiments and trying new things?
permalink • reply with quote
7/7/2014 7:56:57 PM

cheryl higgins
Forms are a fun way to experiment. I often will read a poet and like how they used form and try to break it down then try it myself. I tried a Tanka. Tanka is a Haiku, which is three lines of 5, 7, 5 syllables. Tanka adds two more lines of 7 and 7.

A Tanka takes the representation given in a haiku, and expands on it with a bit of surprise or interest. For example:
Tanka (by Cheryl Higgins)

In the winter cold
grey trees crack in the grey air
an old harrow rusts
The woods, waiting, draw no breath
Nor can I waiting for you
7/8/2014 9:49:46 PM

Bob Atkinson
Form is irrelevant Wesley. Does the writing have emotional content? If yes, it's poetry, if no, it's prose.

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » poetry forms