Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » Hi.. My name is Amir!

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
6/14/2021 12:52:10 PM

Amir Corprew
I was born in Baltimore, Maryland to a loving mother and absent father. I remember that when asked if I wondered about my father I would say, "Why would I waste time caring about a man who did not care about me." little did I know that one day this sentiment would no longer hold back the torrent of emotions within me. Despite the lack of his presence, I always knew love through my mother who read to me from when I was in her womb until I was able to read alone. I remember one of my favorite books as a child was Goodnight Moon.

As I grew older I continued reading, I would rush through schoolwork so I could read in class and rush through homework so I could read at home. Eventually, I began writing stories and comics with my elementary-school friends. We would print copies and sell them to other students for 5 cents apiece, it was a great deal of fun! As school picked up with elementary and high school I had less time for my creative pursuits but would still find time to read amidst gaming sessions with my friends.

In high school, the reality of my father's absence began to consume my mind and emotions. I wondered why he didn't want to know his son and why he didn't want to help his child sprout into the capable man that he wanted to be. I felt anger for the way he left my mom to fend for herself with a child. These feelings eventually lead to feelings of hopelessness as I struggled to keep up with my peers. My mother wasn't available to help with homework or push me to study because of how busy she was. It was hard to find time to just talk and when the time would come I would be consumed with a fear of worrying her or making her feel like she wasn't enough. My grades began falling and I stopped doing the things I loved, feeling as though I could not succeed without a father. Then, at the brink of dropping out of school, I met someone who made me care about my life again.

They looked at me and didn't see me as someone who was broken and incapable of success like many others but as a person who just needed to believe in their ability to do well. That is when I began turning my life around. They made me see how I was the one in control of my life and that each day I had the ability to choose the action I took for whatever outcome I chose. I began spending more of my days choosing success, for myself, by myself. I brought up my grades, I began to read again, and I started sending in college applications. I got accepted to Christopher Newport University and went to study English, the major I received my Bachelor's degree in last month.

Today I reach out with happiness in my heart and a pure desire for what I will bring myself in my future. I wonder about my father from time to time, but most of all I wonder about the ways in which I can be a father to myself. One way, I have decided, is to write and work on my craft each day as a part of a community.

I can't wait for the experiences to come!

Amir C
permalink • reply with quote
12/7/2021 7:33:10 AM

Husna Chikwela
Beutiful story
1/17/2022 6:10:58 AM

Budget University
Hi Amir

Forum Home » Introductions » Hi.. My name is Amir!