Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Feel free to criticize this pantoum poem.

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
10/3/2019 11:27:31 AM

Agnes Yusuf
As the silent walls enravish the sweetness
The thunders roars, the water sways
Fallowing breed of mountain's delight
Grazed in the oak of nature's meet

The thunders roars, the water sways
The tendrils of scented pine trees discovered
Grazed in the oak of nature's meet
It's fullness thereof, behold the splendor

The tendrils of scented pine trees discovered
Fallowing breed of mountain's delight
It's fullness thereof, behold the splendor
As the silent walls enravish the sweetness
permalink • reply with quote
10/11/2019 6:46:47 PM

Jack Webster
I find pantomimes a challenging form; im sure I’m not the only one.

None of the poem really makes any more sense than fall leaves floating by on a current.

It feels like it’s been put through some sort of poetic encryption machine where the imagery is meant to obscure and obstruct rather than clarify and deepen.

Without a proper context, the counterpoint between silent walls and roaring thunder is just sort of gratuitous artistry than renders describing walls as silent redundant rather than revelatory.

‘The sweetness’ is left entirely abstract. the walls are at least something concrete, but one is never sure what walls they are either. The water similarly flirts with the concrete but is never defined, perhaps a waterfall (roaring thunder), but one is never sure, could easily be a white water rapids, or could just be ripples moving across the surface of a pond. ‘Following breed of mountain’s delight’ borders on simply gibberish. Presumably you’re describing water cutting a path through a mountain pass. ‘Grazed in the oak of nature’s meet’ is likewise approaches the realm of gibberish. Presumably the verb ‘grazed’ is being applied to ‘the water’ but even this does little as the subject ‘the oak of nature’s meet’ lacks such clarity it is as if random words were drawn from a hat. the preposition ‘in’ blows all that is presumed, but still not understood, entirely out of the water and into the sky, in an awe inspiring display that can only be compared to an unintentional rocket launch leaving a vapor trail of light and steam that disappears into the distance of the great unknown. The water(?) that grazes is IN the oak??

Pine trees do not have tendrils.

Wasn’t familiar with meet as a noun, but even after looking it up, I have absolutely no clue what a ‘nature’s meet’ is.

All this being said, it is clear you have a lovely literary voice/ persona. I’m not sure why you want to deprive it of the power of plain spoken ness and the ability to be understood
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » High Critique » Feel free to criticize this pantoum poem.