Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » How do we write a poem?

Ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas how to write better.
5/6/2017 9:34:39 AM

Saumya Aloysius
Writing a poem is a matter of emotions & feelings. At once it is impossible to write a poem. We need to experience a particular situation which has been able to make us either overjoyed or disappointed.
permalink • reply with quote
5/15/2017 2:38:07 PM

Darlene De Beaulieu
Can a poem be written in a fairy tail form? How long canit be written?
5/19/2017 2:37:03 PM

Barry Stebbings
A poem can be as long or short as you want it to be. Have a look at 'Forms' on the top subject bar to see different forms of poem. Fairy tales are acceptable but probably better if it is your own created fairy tail rather than adapting a traditional one.
5/23/2017 3:18:29 PM

Annette Gagliardi
I sometimes begin writing a poem by writing down my thoughts in prose. I try to get to the gist of what I want to say in the poem. Then, I glean from the prose paragraphs what the poem will be. After that, I look at wordsmithing - are the words I used the exact one needed. Do I need all the words? Or perhaps I need more. Can I rhyme? Can I use alliteration? What images jump out at me. These questions help me compose a poem from the kernel of truth I want to tell.
6/3/2017 10:48:07 AM

Wolfgang Punyaketu Hoffmann
Writing a poem is a state of mind. The editing, i.e. refining, improving, etc., comes later. As I have many years of meditation experience I only have to tell my mind that I want to write a poem. I then wait, just continue with my life, and my sub- and unconscious will respond in due time, usually a couple of hours later. Reading a good book, and I read every day, or watching a good movie on DVD, can also put me into that space. I then either write about my experience in my journal, or a poem comes straight out of it. The best poems seem to write itself. They come from deep within. The more I write, the more often a line, a part of a new one, or even a whole poem comes up. I might revise it almost straight afterwards. But in any case, and this is a recommendation, I wait at least a day before I work on it some more. This gives me a more objective distance, and makes it easier to judge in a fresh way what I have written so far. Each time I copy a poem I read it 'anew', i.e. as much as possible with, what we in Buddhism call, 'beginner's mind'. Beginner's mind is not only good for any kind of producing and viewing art work, it really enhances our whole life. One can also learn a lot from younger children in that respect.
6/4/2017 3:02:54 PM

Deadd Accountt
What I usually do is go about my everyday life and at different times get in these brief moods of trying to create something. I often find inspiration from watching a good movie, life experiences, different things people tell me that make an impression on me, etc, etc. Most of the time how I start writing a poem or a song or short story is while i'm going about my day sometimes I try to imagine characters that sometimes do or don't relate to anyone I know (or don't know,) in real life, I can try to make them favorable, despicable, or really give them any type of traits I want because everyone somehow, someway will relate to something (or hold a common grudge, fear, or delight, or confusion or whatever to someone, or something.) Then I try to imagine the characters I put into words; how could if I was reading the poem somehow make the characters come to life for the readers in a way that is not too boring and blatant, usually. That is one of the ways I go about starting a poem/song etc. Another way is I could just be outside on a walk, at the pool swimming, playing sports with friends, applying for a job, etc, than I just get this one theme in my head that I think I could really work and have fun with. Or, I simply think of a good line or two, base my loosely or heavily on it, and then put the line(s) at the start, end, middle, or not even include it in the poem I based off it. My most recent poem as of June 4th is something I based off a line of dialogue I imagined between a girl and a boy, who are boyfriend and girlfriend, and how they are both liars and cheaters. Originally the poem was going to include this line as the ending of it;

She said she'd seen the light

I said; "What did you just say?"

She said she seen the light,

then got up and ran away

This is what I based my recent poem off, loosely. Originally, This was going to be the focal point of the piece, but after I started writing poetry based off of this, I went a slightly different direction with how I wanted to write it and end the poem. Sometimes I will make this thought the main point, general theme and title, but other times it is just an idea to get me started.

Those two ways are how I get started writing about 90% of the time. How I continue writing varies, but I stereo-typically do it a couple ways.

1.) I often give supporting thoughts to the theme of the poem

2.) Continue the rhymes carefully and creatively (my poems rhyme.)

3.)Re-read stanzas, think about how others would perceive them

4.) Have fun, or else I may save it for later or drop it completely

This is how I basically write my poetry. Everyone is unique and has their own style, perception, ways of going about things, outlets of inspiration, etc. Do you when making your poems, it is a beautiful form of art and could mean something completely different too two different people who read it.

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » How do we write a poem?