You have an ad blocker! We understand, but...

PoetrySoup is a small privately owned website. Our means of support comes from advertising revenue. We want to keep PoetrySoup alive, make it better, and keep it free. Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on PoetrySoup. See how to enable ads while keeping your ad blocker active. Also, did you know you can become a PoetrySoup Lifetime Premium Member and block ads forever...while getting many more great features. Take a look! Thank you!
Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Figured I Would Try This Out...

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
9/18/2013 10:24:06 AM

Jeremy Aguire
I've been on PoetrySoup for a couple of years and I have been adding poems off and on. I would like a fresh perspective on my poetry, since I have really nice friends. Here is one that I have written recently...

Time Machine

All this advancing time is the enemy.
Can I flip the switch on my atrocities?
Why can I not stop this when I feel that I can't breathe?
Is it forbidden to fold a space and go between?

Actions are wrecking balls, chained to memories.
When I snap a link, then I will break the screen,
so I won't watch the horror, of things not happening.
I can end this sadness, but I don't have the machine.

I want to bend light around this gravity.
Holes in space and time need so much energy.
If I could make a tangent right before I can speak,
I would tell myself all these inherent prophecies.

But will it change the course of my identity,
or have I been there and died before I'm seen?
Would I end existence as I selfishly succeed?
Maybe my future self is deciding not to leave.
permalink • reply with quote
9/19/2013 9:07:45 AM

Just That Archaic Poet
You have some superb imagery in this piece and all your words are cleverly crafted. The only problems I have with this piece per se is the rhyming. You're a little choppy in some places, and I think it's because your average line syllable count is about 11-12. I would advise shortening the rhyme scheme to maybe 8 or 9 and reworking some of the lines for the sake of flow. Some people don't count syllables and are indifferent to different pentameters. I think iambic might work better for this piece, but you or others may disagree. I think you have some fabulous verses in this piece and with some ironing out of the wrinkles, I think you'll have a strong, compelling poem, indeed. I would just play around with the rhyme scheme a bit to tighten it up, but overall, very good work that I enjoyed
edited by JustLivingLies on 9/19/2013
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » High Critique » Figured I Would Try This Out...