Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » »

6/12/2010 2:33:58 AM

Spade Sincuna
^ contemporary structure is a structure that is currently being used or alive today... which is probably free verse.

Contemporary poets include:

Linda Pastan, Billy Collins, Jeffrey McDaniel, Jack Gilbert, Kim Addonizio, etc.
permalink • reply with quote
7/17/2011 1:08:51 PM

Hemi Lewis
I hope all is well just wonedering for i am on the right track all can you please porvide some you tips to help me thanks
8/17/2011 3:33:56 PM

Dennis Davis
I would just like to say there is no such thing as a perfect poem, write what is in your heart, mind, an soul, write for your own satisfaction not worring if someone will like or dislike about your work.

Another thing I have read poems that make no sence at all, no rime or reason just some meaning less words on a page thoes poems I do not like, but for some reason get high marks from others, go figure.
1/11/2012 1:40:16 PM

donna burns
Iam very much a novice , alot of my poems are on abuse , i worked closely with survivors of abuse and being abused myself , i write from my heart and how i feel, i dont know anything about certain styles and my grammar is quite poor, im open to any help or critisism, or advice, and hope that the next lot of poems i submit do not offend anyone there very close to my heart and explicit but kept clean.. Many thanks to all who have passed encouraging comment on my poems ..Take care
Donna 565
5/11/2012 2:58:39 PM

Josie Whitehead
My advice is probably contrary to everyone else's but I would say that you learn to write poetry in much the same way as you learn to play music. Don't just lift the lid of the piano and thump away. Take the trouble to learn how rhythm is made, and the difference between a waltz and a march, but in poetry it is a dactyl (the waltz) and iambic feet, (the march). It is worth learning about the structure of poetry and also to have good rhythm. It also helps if you can break words down into sounds easily, especially if you write with rhythm. I think that metre in a poem turns it from something that can be dreary into a poetic dance on paper, ha ha. This is probably different advice to everyone else's but it works well for me.

--
They say that writing poetry keeps the mind young, but writing poems for children heads that I think.
6/28/2012 12:38:08 AM

kennetria marinetti
I'm 16 and I have been writing poems since I was 8. I just write from my heart or what I see other people go through. Sometimes I would write what fits the poetic styles.

Forum Home » »