Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » This place is a joke

Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Talk about anything or need a shoulder to cry on? Share your thoughts and emotions here:
pages: 1 2 |
10/11/2016 2:52:21 PM

keith osborne
I've tried commenting on other's poetry, posting in the critique page, and contests. Nothing, except three comments as a welcome on my first post. What a joke!
permalink • reply with quote
10/15/2016 8:32:11 PM

Ironic Zink
This place is not above a good joke. Funny poems are just plain fun. Be patient. If you stop and breath... Poetry can find you and the best way to get comments is to comment on others poems. Just keep writing; no matter what. I'm sorry for your frustrations here, if you hang in there you will be rewarded with the miraculous gift of being a contributing member to PoetrySoup.
10/24/2016 12:05:21 PM

Keith Logan
Many poetry sites suffer from the same problem, unless you are already an acknowledged poet who has been a site member for many years your offerings tend to be ignored. C'est la vie.
3/2/2017 3:57:12 AM

connie pachecho
i see im not laughing. try posting 4 poems in 4 hours and have 0 views on each. then look at the pooems trending
with 40-50 views and try reading the same recycle crap, cliches and become demoralized even further. it human to stew. i deleted all 4. there was a time i thought i had 1 fanclub here but maybe those numbers are inflated.

again i tried posting a few nights ago and the same sad story., 2 hours went by with 0 views. whats a person

suppose to do. this is humilating. esp. reading the sites proclaiming to have 40,000 members. 40k? and to conclude they dont carre to read my crap. thats fine. the point is i can see why new poets give up, leave with

a feeling that this place is beyond a joke.
3/3/2017 9:35:30 AM

Bob Atkinson
Nobody owes you anything Keith. To assume that is juvenile. Might try writing something that's not off the cuff and trite. The verb "to be" (is are was were) has no place in poetry. Poetry's "the emotional content of literature." Is how we feel about events, not those events themselves. You owe it to the reader to write something that has value, not flittyness. Regards, Bob Atkinson
GOOGLE: poetry critic
3/7/2017 7:52:32 PM

keith osborne
As if I care about your opinion, Mr. self proclaimed best critic on the internet. Have you read your own "poetry"? I write circles around you.
5/9/2017 10:22:34 AM

Carissa Marie
I always feel annoyed by how difficult it is to get recognition on sites like this one, and I'll have to agree with you: it does seem like the "good" poetry is something I could have written in middle school. However, poetry isn't about getting the most views or the most thumbs-up. Nor do I think it's quite appropriate to bash someone for his/her poetry, even if you think yours is light years in front of theirs. Poets are, by definition, emotional creatures and it's easy to forget that everyone else gets as discouraged as you do- whether or not they've been featured on the "top poem" list. It happens. Likes are subjective, humans are very contradictory beings, and sometimes the most beautiful creations get completely overlooked for something subpar. It's annoying, and I don't like it, but that's a fact. I think pushing our negative opinions onto someone else just trying to float along isn't a good way to go about earning prestige in the poetry community. Just a thought.
5/9/2017 10:28:12 PM

laken smith
I just got here today but I love your poems and do hope to see more be blessed Keith.
5/19/2017 6:39:04 AM

J-Mag Guthrie
hempleaves13 wrote:
I've tried commenting on other's poetry, posting in the critique page, and contests. Nothing, except three comments as a welcome on my first post. What a joke!

Most of what I see here is not worth commenting on. I'll look you up momentarily. I'm a mod on another writing site and I can't find a way to send you a private invitation..... or I would. I spent a good deal of time this morning critiquing someone's poem here. I hope they appreciate it. The other poem I critiqued here a few days ago got nothing.

Google writing forums and look for my handle (astroannie) at the bottom of the forum in who's been on today and if you see me, you've got the right site.
5/27/2017 1:30:36 AM

Andy Morfett
I share the frustration of those who have commented before me. I actually find it slightly insulting to see that various of my works have had several HUNDRED views and not one single comment. That smacks of either (a) laziness on behalf of the reader; (b) snobbishness on the part of the reader deeming my work not worthy of comment or (c) pure unadulterated ignorance.
Not one person on this site - or any other site like it - is above criticism, critiquing or learning something new, however well established they may be. The only way we learn and improve is by giving and receiving feedback on our work. No-one is above that.
I've written stories and poems for more than forty-five years and still consider myself a 'novice' in the field. Yes, some of my stuff is good - very good at times - but not brilliant. I would like to get better at what I do but as nobody ever bothers to tell me how and where I can improve I'll never learn.
Anyone who reads another's work and does not bother to comment is doing that author a disservice. Shame on you!
7/9/2017 7:49:19 AM

Andy Morfett
and how many comments have you left on the works you have read?
12/11/2017 9:09:55 AM

Faraz Ajmal
This place is not a joke, just be patient, if you need comments than you also have to comment on other people poems as well, the way I get comments are by commenting on other poems and asking them to comment on mine as well
3/18/2018 10:05:48 PM

Paul Schneiter
Sometimes readers don't reply because what they feel obligated to say would be hurtful. In a sense a "no comment" MAY BE a comment. It's a reader's way of saying a given poet's work isn't worthy of a comment.
3/20/2018 6:29:16 PM

Mockingbird Stevenson
I am new to the world of poetry and thought as this site is for all levels of poetry I would not only be able to read some great work but receive some some constructive criticism to help me further grow.

I would love for someone to read my poems and be objective. And love to provide my thoughts and honest opinions but I do fear them not worthy as I am no professional.
5/4/2018 5:52:31 PM

Virginia Waters
Well as a newcomer I am not expecting anything. Poetry comes to be shared. Here is a place it can be. The rest is open. Poetry stands on its own. It is not ourselves. Let go. Throw the ripples in the stream.
5/29/2018 3:33:57 PM

bonnie dodd
I too am new not a poet but have written 5 short poems? of my feeling on loosing my daughter and husband. I have been told by many "lay" persons that they are really good. So I came to this site hoping to find out from someone with poetry knowledge if what i have written is any good, if it is poetry. Only to find a whole new world of poetry language and words and style of which I do not have a clue what any of them means. and don't plan on becoming a poet in the future i have no training just seeking a small amount of feedback which is impossible to obtain here, i must be doing everything wrong. and with all that I really do not feel qualify on leaving any kind of feedback on a true poets work.

so how am i to get feedback if i don't leave any???

do you really want feed back from someone who don't even know what poetry style is or how to writ them???? I just wanted to see if everyone was right the what i wrote is good or if it is just a bunch of garbage.

every time i leave a post i go back to look if there's any comments and all my post are gone deleted or something. so to me this place is a joke but what do i know
5/29/2018 3:44:38 PM

bonnie dodd
sorry a little more.... let me clarify. I ve received several good comments on my :writes" of how sad they are, how they make them want to cry, how from the heart they are. but im seeking ok do they have a style? could i enter them in a contest? if so what style would they enter under? do i need to change them around a little to make them fit a style so on and so on. or are they something i should just private and not share
5/30/2018 10:43:05 AM

Michael E. Harris
bonnie15150 wrote:
I too am new not a poet but have written 5 short poems? of my feeling on loosing my daughter and husband. I have been told by many "lay" persons that they are really good. So I came to this site hoping to find out from someone with poetry knowledge if what i have written is any good, if it is poetry. Only to find a whole new world of poetry language and words and style of which I do not have a clue what any of them means. and don't plan on becoming a poet in the future i have no training just seeking a small amount of feedback which is impossible to obtain here, i must be doing everything wrong. and with all that I really do not feel qualify on leaving any kind of feedback on a true poets work.

so how am i to get feedback if i don't leave any???

do you really want feed back from someone who don't even know what poetry style is or how to writ them???? I just wanted to see if everyone was right the what i wrote is good or if it is just a bunch of garbage.

every time i leave a post i go back to look if there's any comments and all my post are gone deleted or something. so to me this place is a joke but what do i know
5/30/2018 10:48:01 AM

Michael E. Harris
Poetry is never right it's always never wrong.

Imagination is essential to unleash ones full potential.
6/2/2018 6:28:01 PM

Virginia Waters
Well, I am new and have had a lovely positive and encouraging response. So maybe write better poetry and don't slag off soupers. If I don't like a poem I don't comment - there's your answer.
pages: 1 2 |

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » This place is a joke