Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

oxe57 - all messages by user

8/31/2017 8:56:08 PM
Go in seargh of Style I believe in order to write great poetry you must read great poetry. Read, read, read, read, read. Make note of the poems you like when reading Whitman, Frost, Dunbar, Angelou, Sexton. What makes the poem work? Why do you like the poem? Also study the craft. Understand euphemism, irony, metonymy, personification. You want the craft of poetry to come out of you naturally. Finally and most importantly develop style. You must have a voice. Style is not easy. It comes from developing a command of craft and language. Poetry is like any endeavor you get out of it what you put into it.
9/2/2017 10:26:22 AM
New to this site. Aspiring poet here. Been writing poems since 2005. Love this sight. Vibrant. Fav' poets are Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Rita Dove, Claude McKay, William Carlos Williams, Anne Sexton, Etheridge Knight, Carl Sandburg.
9/26/2017 8:25:10 PM
Better With Time Has your attitude towards love and sex gotten better with time?
10/1/2017 7:46:06 PM
What Inspires me to write poetry. What inspires me to write poetry is simply a love of words. I like to play with words, to shape them into a new form, a new thing. I really don't have much to say but I'm always looking to turn a phrase.
10/8/2017 1:29:18 PM
A. Poulin Jr. Poetry Contest I just submitted my manuscript to the BOA Editions, LTD Publishing Company's A. Poulin Jr. Poetry Contest. The winner gets their manuscript published. The cost is $25.00. Is anyone familiar with this contest?
10/15/2017 5:15:11 PM
How Do I Remove A Photo? I changed my avatar but the photo that appears on the right will not go away. How do I remove or change it?
6/17/2018 12:33:55 AM
Poet Lore Literary Journal The Poet Lore Literary Journal is accepting poetry submissions. Its free and judges have no concern for reputation/bio. They are only concerned with the poems you write.
9/1/2020 9:45:13 AM
Academics? Has the world of poetry become too academic? Does the contests, publishing, awards, judges all seem to have either a PHD or MFA? Has poetry in America become a fraternity?
pages: 1