Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Elegant Solution

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
7/6/2023 12:10:57 PM

Bob Atkinson
ElegantSolution
-by - Bob Atkinson

some reaches of our universe
contain what we surmise
an articulated benefit
with open, loving eyes

appeal not fully understood
simplicity wished for gain
we, of an unknowing kind
knew not from where we came

I feel, in this moment's pause
as if my brain's on fire
why don't I understand this
why don't I knowledge desire

carry me beyond those trees
beyond those mountains great
to an equality of sound
to an awareness plain

plain for simplicity of mind
plain for knowing well
how we, in clinging to what we know
give chatter to ourselves

chatter only serves to calm
us in our lack of fire
something we try to overcome
with energy of desire

to solve a mystery requires luck
and luck's what we have much
to be here on this oval speck
of gasses and brown dust

took ever so much overcoming
of process duly made
an elegant solution to
an empty, useless phase

so here, we sit and ponder fate
yet fate's what we stand living
we look to each other's help
please be kind and giving

p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; text-decoration: underline }
permalink • reply with quote
7/7/2023 9:03:37 PM

Cameron Hardenburg
I'm a bit confused. Why would you choose to introduce a rhyming pattern for a free verse. Some stanzas within your poem consist of two alternating rhyming lines and two blank verses. Multiple of your stanzas follow this pattern, which is confusing because why would you introduce a reoccurring rhyming theme within a free verse if you're not going to follow a consistent rhyming structure? Stanzas 1,3,6,9 all contain a semblance of a reoccurring rhyming pattern that isn't present within the rest of the poem. Even though this is a free verse, it was still a strange choice to structure your poem with this regularity only to be inconsistent with it. It makes for a bit of an awkward framework in my opinion. But with that aside, I really liked your poem, good work!
7/10/2023 10:54:10 AM

Bob Atkinson
Thank you Hardenburg for your interest. Don't know what poem you read to generate your comments. Read my poem "Sonnet" on the forum for my reply to your intense interest in form. Primary purpose of rhyme and verse is to train the mind. (all Hindu textbooks are in rhyme and verse). Beyond that I place very little value in form, other than a flowing sense of value of the poem's theme, and juvenile addiction to dumb words such as "the, it, and the verb to be, is are was were." Baudelaire taught me theme is more important than form, which is useless as long as the poem exhibits emotional strength it's of some value. Regards, Bob
7/10/2023 3:57:23 PM

Cameron Hardenburg
Elegant Solution is the title of your poem that I'm referring to. Stanzas are typically broken apart and based on some sort of reoccurring metrical unit. Whilst it is true that stanzas may also be created to merely divide a poem into segments, corresponding to the paragraphs of prose (such as you have done). It was a strange choice to have multiple of your stanzas follow a quatrain pattern if you weren't going to be consistent with it. Personally, I prefer stanzas that have some degree of methodology regarding their metrical pattern (but that is purely preference). It was just a bit odd to inconsistently flip back and forth from a quatrain structure to a free verse.
7/10/2023 4:15:16 PM

Cameron Hardenburg
To clarify, I'm talking about your use of rhymed quatrain structure. Technically, every stanza in your poem is a quatrain, but only some of them follow a rhyming pattern.
7/11/2023 5:37:46 PM

Bob Atkinson
Thanks Hardenburg for your erudite analysis of form, something in 1600 poems I posted online that I never considered, concentrating more importantly on what I was saying instead. In my poem "the Sonnet" posted here, told of my feelings toward restrictive form. Would love reference to your poems posted online to see how you would do it.

"...The Sonnet
-by-Bob Atkinson

Lentini believed in arrogance
for he left us his own form
strict instructions codified
aberration from the norm

yes,we feel constrained when we
try to develop in this mode
leaving behind our purpose
for some instructions of a toad

don’t tie my hands when I form
words into meanings specific