Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » How to navigate this site?

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
3/24/2022 7:14:17 AM

Evan Meyer
Hi! I'm new here and finding the very long menu of categories here a bit overwhelming. I'm not sure where to start. I have an MA in English and have written poetry (not a lot) for decades. I am very interested in discussing great poetry, and also interested in helping students or just beginner poets to learn how to write poetry. I am coming here after Quora (which is irritating because it seems no one reads poetry, only 'quotes', and only ever talks about 'quotes' as if they are self-contained works of art). Plus, about 95 percent of Quora posts seem to be motivated by trying to see how many responses they can get (e.g, by recycling popular posts of others). I also tried several subreddits on Reddit, but I find the tone there is overwhelmingly anti-intellectual, the submitted poems mostly wretched (though I would never say that about a person's poem directly), and the posters generally ignorant of published poetry.
All that said, do I fit in here? If so, where on this vast site can I go to (1) critique serious beginners' poetry and (2) engage in serious discussions of great poetry (not helping the high schooler write their assignment on "Stopping By Woods")?
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Introductions » How to navigate this site?