Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Death, Spirituality

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
1/25/2020 12:58:20 PM

Jennifer Cahill
A sketch of the shades
of midnight, a figure emerges,
her spectre arms reach

like the charcoal bones
of the wild, the webbed trees.
Their silhouette absorbed

into the night clasp
the edge of the curved
slice of moon, cocaine

colored and as potent.
For ancient stories are spun
within its orbit.

It is a black and
white rock that once had oceans,
the orb created

by a long ago
planet colliding with Earth.
A diabolical

world pushes against
our mortal micracosm, molded
flesh within the cloak

shaped to kill, and shed.
Stripped of this armour, we meld
into death, a viscous

void of the sublime
intensity beating, a
puissance, zoetic. Hue

of a collapsed white
dwarf, the distant plum red throb
that emits heat, burns.

To die is like chalk
rubbed into pores; the suck of Black Holes.
Human colors drowned.
edited by jacc123 on 1/25/2020
edited by jacc123 on 1/25/2020

--
Jennifer Cahill
permalink • reply with quote
1/27/2020 2:02:50 PM

Jack Webster
Love it!

Favorite line is “shaped to kill, and shed”. Lovely regularity of stress; lovely symmetry of the “sh” sound; fun transposition of of vowel sounds from “a” to “e”, and “pd” to “d”; creates a very pleasurable sense of completeness within the line.

I think your three strongest images are the charcoal bones, the moon as cocaine, the distant plum red throb. Unexpected images, attention grabbing, unique enough to convey a sense of communicating an authentic experience or perception.

I think the first stanza needs to be stronger. It feels like you were exploring a way to enter the poem, but don’t really hit it till charcoal bones. It’s not clear if the sketch is literal or figurative.

Your poem has a wonderful ommision of first person language, and this is one of the strongest aspects of its voice, however you could insert a first person moment in the first stanza simply to enter the poem, then drop first person once the poem is entered:

I sketch the shades...

I would suggest changing ‘webbed trees’ to ‘web of trees’. Literally, webbed trees would like duck’s feet, but you’re literally describing a web, a web that happens to be made of trees. If you diagram the phrase, the way you have it originally ‘trees’ is the noun, with webbed hanging as the adjective; the proposed change makes web the noun, with a little prepositional jaunt.

I would change ‘colored and as potent’ to ‘white and potent’, the brevity and severity of the line and the color white being synergistic with its potency.

I think the phrase that begins with ‘Their silhouettes...’ needs parenthetical commas around ‘... ,absorbed... night, ...’ to avoid ‘night clasp’ from reading as a compound noun. (I was confused was a ‘night clasp’ was, and for a moment thought the clause had no verb.)

I would switch your placements for ‘planet’ and ‘world’, both for thematic reasons and sonic reasons. A world can be something figurative as well as literal; a world colliding with earth could mean someone else’s world colliding with the persona’s Earth, which subtlety ties into to the idea of cocaine and escaping trauma. Also the vowel sound in world has a nice assonance with earth, whereas planet has a nice consonance with pushes.

Microcosm might be literally correct to what you intended to mean, but also experiment with using the word macrocosm. The imagery you are using is very much larger than life; an existential scale. Macrocosm might be ironic when speaking about the life of one person, but it is not ironic to the theme that is larger than one person. You might also consider kenning macrocosm and mortal and moving flesh up a line:

the diabolical

planet pushes against
our mortal macrocosm-mold flesh,
within the cloak

shaped to kill...

Puissance and Zoetic I have mixed feelings about. Good vocabulary words, but just make sure they are in keeping with your intended audience.

I would remove the last stanza.

Hope my feedback was helpful. Good luck!
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » High Critique » Death, Spirituality