Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Be Gentle » Learn To Be Still

Post here if you're new to receiving a critique and you want "gentle" feedback on your poem. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
12/1/2018 2:20:24 AM

Jack Webster
While it's true some poems may provoke reflection, introspection, and meditation on the human condition and life itself, poems most effectively accomplish this through artistry of sound, subject, metaphor, simile, narrative, concrete details, metonymy, synecdoche, and other devices of rhetoric, sensual riddles that gently draw the attention of the reader nearer and nearer.

The author's work seems to reflect the aspiration that the reader will find something meaningful in the reading, which is great; however the work itself is a list of maxims to live by, rather than an artful use of poetic devices.

If the author cares to peek at "Virgin Poem" a few positions up in the forum, I think the author will quickly see that the beautiful poem could be summed up as a one sentence maxim such as: it's worth sticking out the bad times. What a beautiful poem would be lost if the its had been content to merely speak in maxims rather than wishing to share an experience with the reader.

The author has a lot of things to say. I hope the author will consider doing his/her wisdom justice by sharing it in a more lush and full bodied poetic experience. I would consider this work a package of seeds from which poems yet to come may be grown, as each line could birth any number of scenarios, experiences, visions that express it artfully.
permalink • reply with quote
12/2/2018 8:37:38 PM

Sandra L. Weiss
I agree, my poetry lacks beautiful, artful use of poetic devices. Poetry that is not poetic.Duly noted.
Thank you,

SW
12/3/2018 1:33:00 AM

Jack Webster
I'm sorry you've removed your poem. My opinions are frequently in the minority on here. The value of your work remains immutable regardless of the presence of artistry. Your work is greater than the response of one critique. There is no doubt in my mind many on the site will connect with it in a meaningful way. I hope you will repost it and allow them the opportunity to receive your thoughts for themselves.

Forum Home » Be Gentle » Learn To Be Still