Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » A Warning of Impermanence

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
9/9/2018 12:23:06 AM

Josiah Hopkins
A Warning of Impermanence
By: Josiah Hopkins

Sing me a song of significance
One in need of skill to vocalize
A ballad commanding reverence
And draws a tear to the eye
Tell me a tale of relevance
Like an epic seldom heard
Be sure to mind your eloquence
Make me believe in every word
Recite a poem with elegance
One of your very own design
Just speak it without hesitance
And it needn't be in rhyme
Paint me a scene of opulence
One surely of master's hand
Without a hint of ambivalence
Of a shipwreck in the sand
Just live a life of rememberance
Make wise use of fleeting time
I warn of life's impermanence
Do more with yours than I with mine
permalink • reply with quote
12/2/2018 4:32:04 AM

Jack Webster
lovely nod to the poetry's ancient roots.

Lovely attention to meter, enjoyable use of end rhyme. A few little bumps here and there, but nothing so eggregious it could not be attributed to intentional design.

I suspect you are very accustomed to reading your poems aloud and your ear has not yet distinguished between lexical stress and moraic stress, and so your mouth quickens pace on certain syllables to make it pleasing to moraic stress values though in certain positions syllables violate metrical rules of lexical stress. The ear instinctively favors moraic values it seems, though lexical values undeniably produce such a clean sound they sometimes die on the vine.

You've ommitted punctuation. This is a fine choice if you intend your end rhymes and line breaks to serve as punctuation. However, allow me to illustrate the power of punctation, specifically caesura, and also enjambment, to frame the emotional content of the poem.

Sing me a song. Significance
needs skill to vocalize.
A ballad. Commanding reverence
draws a tear to the eye.
Tell me a tale, relevance
like an epic seldom heard.
Be sure. To mind your eloquence,
Make me believe in every word.
Recite a poem. With elegance,
one of your very own, design.
Just speak it. Without hesitance
(and it needn't be in rhyme)
paint me a scene, of opulence,
of, surely, the master's hand.
Without a hint of ambivalence,
Of a shipwreck in the sand,
Just live. A life of rememberance
makes wise use of fleeting time.
I warn of life's impermanence.
Do more with yours than I with mine.

The pacing of the original is very free and reeling compared to the punctuated version. In addition, without the use of enjambment the end rhymes make a very vibrant musical quality. Punctuation offers the opportunity to control pacing, which is an essential component in nonverbal communication of mood and emotional content. The original version is so bright and carefree, it is difficult to believe they understand the grief of impermanence, the loss of wasted opportunities. The last three lines of the original don't even seem to fit with the rest of the poem; the body of the poem could be a spritely youth that's simply excited to hear a good song. Using punctuation to slow the pacing, takes the energy out of the lines; the enjambmemt conceals the music. One might suddenly suspect the person speaking is aged, and feeling nostalgic for better times and is hoping to live vicariously through the song of someone in the prime of life, and warns them to make good use of time, tying the body of the poem together with the last three lines.

hope something I said was useful. good luck.
edited by superlativedeleted on 12/2/2018
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » High Critique » A Warning of Impermanence