Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Optical Illusions

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
5/28/2018 1:29:18 PM

levi johnson
Primrose path
Sprinting sessions
From dark undergrounds
Never leave until unexpected

Admiration
Image collections
Optic characters imitations
Personality as a theatrical affair

Social fluency
Horse and carriage
Stepladder for gnomes
White concrete eclipsing the streets

Cigarettes
Music on Bourbon Street
Caged souls, walking zombies
Poverty weeps the loudest social lie

Existence
Revolving door exit
To doubt linear presence
Historic currency is a cold death

Ideology
Tall buildings
Redesigned inner child
Your snake skin is the verse of life
permalink • reply with quote
10/2/2018 4:34:52 PM

levi johnson
I need feedback on this piece. Thanks
11/23/2018 9:56:48 AM

levi johnson
No feedback yet?
11/23/2018 11:21:30 AM

Frank Frank
Good that you bumped your posting; I've only recently joined.

As a form, starting each stanza with a noun or short phrase and then sort of expanding on it with ever-lengthening lines is not a bad idea. Some may consider this kind of a gimmick, but I think it works for you (although maybe just a little predictable by about the 3rd stanza).

What doesn't work is the expansion. Some of those phrases probably won't make sense to anyone except you. One or two are not bad and might be salvaged if you were to rewrite ("Historic currency is a cold death" - although I don't know what that means), others are not as good.

Please read this aloud. Does it really sound like a poem to you? Or something that you could imagine reading to someone else and them actually enjoying it? Or making any sense of it? I really think the most important thing someone starting with poetry can do is to make sense, then worry about the poetics.
12/2/2018 2:28:14 AM

Jack Webster
personally, i find exercises in abstract phrasing such as this to be extremely demanding of the author, and frequently ineffective as poems in their own right. exercises such as this eschew the niceties and forgiving ettiquettes of even free verse. the author leaves neither itself or the reader much room to breathe. everything is stripped to its fundamental elements; everything is left raw-facetted.

i think many of the stanzas struggled for clarity.

L1 clear

2 clear

3 ?

4?

L5 (clear)

6 (clear)

7 ?

8 (clear)

9 clear

L10 clear

11 ! / ?

12 ?

13 clear

14 clear

L15 clear

14 clear

16 clear

17 clear

18 (?)

19 ?

L20 (clear)
21 clear

22 [clear]

23 [clear]

The clarity of some lines suffered because what they stated was unclear, sometimes because their clarity was dependant on other lines that were unclear, and at other times because the context of the stanza was not established.

my overall impression is that you seem to be building a garland of vignettes of different stations of life, then concluding with a larger than life existential bird's eye view of the human condition and mortality. I think this is very poetically juicey. When the clarity issues are worked out, it could prove to be a very strong piece.
12/2/2018 2:33:36 AM

Jack Webster
p.s. something that i think really taxed the lines was the use of abstract and figurative language. normally
one expects figurative language in poetry, but when there is no room to figure it out, it is not as effective. I would rely more of juxtaposition of clear, concrete imagery, context, gestalt of sensual details etc.

Forum Home » High Critique » Optical Illusions