Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Fun and humor » Happy Almost Halloween!

Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Everything to make us smile - anecdotes, stories, fun things to do, etc. But NOT Poetry.
10/31/2017 12:33:21 PM

Gayle Rodd
Happy almost Halloween all you poets! Hey, I'm all for the little one's having a good time, although I still think one needs to design their children's costumes out of their winter coats. Here in Colorado, it always seems to snow hard on the festive night. This year (the year I wrote this) it falls on a Thursday, which means Friday is gonna be a difficult one for school teachers~what with all the kids bouncin' off the walls from "massive sugar overload."I used to stay in and hand out the goodies, but I was the one in the neighborhood that actually doled out toothbrushes or cheese sticks. Needless to say, I wasn't the most well liked amongst the kiddies!

I remember Halloween was a little different when I lived in Scotland. There the children received mostly apples and nuts. (hmpph!! and these kids whine about my cheese sticks?) I guess it was keeping with tradition when the adults were offered a drink at each house they went to. A nip of brandy here, shot of whiskey there. Man! By the time I reached the fourth house, I was smashed! I staggered up to the door and said "Trickur treet!... ' an' make it a Double"

This year I decided I'd go around with my grandchildren. I hope they'll not be too scared. (They've seen me without my makeup so they should be good to go. ) I've never been real big on Halloween, mostly because I just don't want to bother with the festivities of carving pumpkins and decorating. I hate anything pumpkin and can't really handle the smell of apple cider. I suppose I should try and get into the groove of things for the sake of my grandkids though. I guess dressing up as a tired, worn out mother of four just doesn't have the horror it used to have. I've overdone it I suppose. Nah, I really need to rev up the Scare tactic. I know! Maybe I'll hang my Credit Report in my front window~ that oughtta do it.

permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Fun and humor » Happy Almost Halloween!