Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » Glad to find a creative community

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
5/1/2011 6:08:44 PM

Gabrielle Alcazaren
Hi, I'm Brie.
Growing up, I hated poetry because I thought it sounded pretty, but it always confounded me, made me feel foolish how much I couldn't understand anything remotely abstracted. In undergrad I decided to take an Intro to Poetry class, partly as a personal mental challenge, but oddly enough, also I thought it would be easy to get an A. It wasn't quite the fluff course I thought it would be; rather, it sparked a new sort of passion, the creative outlet I never knew I needed. That was over 5 years ago and I haven't been able to stop writing since. I'd like to think that my poetry has improved over time.

I have a penchant for using metaphors, imagery/sensory details, with themes involving growing up, faith, relationships, and impressions of the places I love.

I'm currently in grad school for occupational therapy, which keeps me pretty busy, but I so want to be able to grow in my writing. My school is rather small, populated mostly by left brained scientific minds, so it's difficult to find people who can give me constructive feedback on my poetry there.

I'm trying this out, and I'm looking forward to getting inspiration by others here and getting any critiques and tips possible.

Thanks to the Soupers who've already been welcoming and encouraging!

Brie
edited by briealc on 5/1/2011
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Introductions » Glad to find a creative community