Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Your Enemies

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
7/23/2017 12:04:48 AM

Felice Bee
Please let me know what you think
[Your Enemies]

Let me cry the darkness from their eyes
Tease to unfold the scaffold of their lies
Ignite the strings of fear and stain
That bind their minds to guided hate

Let them see what I see
Your life as an open wound
Let them hear the sound of shattered glass
Stumble through to the profound

Let them look into their own eyes
Give them back their soul and mind
I will cradle them in their grief
As they dissolve in my arms at your feet
permalink • reply with quote
9/12/2017 8:07:56 PM

Jack Webster
i think this work would be better written as a play. Vengeance requires the space for a plot, for justification, the human element.

the author may enjoy reading the play "Medea" by Euripedes, and consider writing something similar.

in the work as it is presently, there is no element to humanize the vengeance, or illustrate the enemies in disgrace. it alludes to a love for the victim of the enemies, and strongly conveys the passion of the speaker, but there is simply not enough space for all the elements to take leaf. This work is a seed best planted in the fertile soil of the theater. And, it is a strong seed!
edited by superlativedeleted on 9/12/2017
9/14/2017 6:42:14 PM

jack belck
This has a lack of focus: it starts with you then suddenly someone else pops up. Also, imagery is way off: strings and scaffolding? You aren't using YOUR words, but other people's. You also savage others without defining them or explaining what their problem is.

Forum Home » High Critique » Your Enemies