Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Immediacy

Discuss your favorite poems, poets, and poetry books - analysis, ideas, hidden meanings, random thoughts, etc.
6/16/2017 12:44:46 PM

Amos Twilight
Hey Everyone,
I have a couple of questions that I'd like to start a discussion on. I'd like to get some feedback on what you all think about Immediacy in poetry. I recently came across that phrase and I'm trying to understand what it means and how it applies. If you have specific examples that would help a lot.

Also, I recently took my first workshop and the facilitator gave me the feedback that I need to surface more of the narrative of which the poem comes from. I typically write in themes related to spirituality. So, in my mind that is the narrative. To me it's less about the events that shaped the experience as it is the spiritual impact the event had in me. I do include portions of the narrative, but only enough to let the reader get a overarching sense of the narrative. What do you think, is the narrative really necessary to ground the reader and be less abstract? By way of influence I'd say my approach is heavily influenced by Charles Wright, if that give you any context.

Feedback is much appreciated.
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Poetry Everything » Immediacy