Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Please tear my poem about my bulimia apart

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
6/11/2017 3:54:04 AM

Julia Romano
Everything I shove down
Keeps running back up
Now my hands are bruised
And the smell exudes

What do they think of me
Disturbed my myself
How do they see me
I’m so far buried

Sheltered from view
Deep in the porcelain bowl
So impatient and true
Spitting fire, always burning

It’s always burning,
Always hurts
I crave the sick
Nothing else to do

And it makes me tired
I’m exhausted
So tired, I can’t sleep
Too scared to choose
edited by juliaromano on 6/11/2017
permalink • reply with quote
6/11/2017 5:55:50 PM

Jerome Malenfant
The main problem I have with the poem is that it offers no hint to the reader as to why the person in the poem does what she does.
6/11/2017 8:33:48 PM

Julia Romano
zaq12wsx wrote:
The main problem I have with the poem is that it offers no hint to the reader as to why the person in the poem does what she does.

hmm, i'll have to consider that, but the thing about bulimia is you don't really know why you do what you do. everyone knows the consequences of forcing yourself to throw up, yet we do it anyway. there really is no reason for eating disorders
6/11/2017 8:39:48 PM

Julia Romano
maybe if i add this as the last stanza?
The farther my fingers seep,
The smaller I’ll be
I need help, I don’t want it
I’ll die for thin, I’ll die for it

but then i feel like it's too in your face? ugh someone help me please!
edited by juliaromano on 6/11/2017
6/11/2017 10:58:20 PM

Jerome Malenfant
Well then, maybe an acknowledgment in the poem that 'you' don't know why you do this. I think the poem should offer some insight to the reader into the mind of a bulimic. Otherwise it comes off as just whining, and the response from the reader when the poem says "it hurts when I do this" might be just 'then don't do that!"
6/18/2017 3:51:50 PM

Darren White
I think one of the main problems is that is is very "telling", a description of what is happening. I know it is very difficult to step out of oneself, and then to write in poetic language. But it is the main problem with your poem.
I am having a different problematic relation with food. If I would write a poem about it, I might try for the first few lines something like this:

Five o'clock, I plate the plate with:

20 peas

1 potato

1000 stares, arranging

rearranging

counting

Will there be ease, will the fragrance of freshly cooked peas ever be the best scent ever?

See? I am not claiming this to be a wonderful poem, I just quickly wrote a few lines for you, maybe it is helpful or not. I hope it helped you on your way.

Forum Home » High Critique » Please tear my poem about my bulimia apart