Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » In Minor Need of Help

Ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas how to write better.
5/9/2017 1:37:55 PM

Carissa Marie
We're working on Slam Poetry for my drama class and I have come to an unusual wall. Typically, I can crank out a slam poem in a few minutes- and I have- but I've chosen to actually challenge myself with this one and I am intensely challenged.
Basically, I'm attempting a poem from the perspective of an expecting mother who is afraid to have her child. She feels inadequate, and unprepared for motherhood. I have the basic outline for the poem's progression, but no idea how to proceed right now. I think part of the problem is that I haven't been in this particular situation, or anything like it; I've found it very difficult to write about something as far off as my own pregnancy. I know that I'd like the mother to be worried, and scared, but I'd like to GO somewhere with the poem, if you understand what I mean. I'd like her to grow in her soliloquy.

I'm not sure how to get where I'm going, but I know where it is. I'm just confused as to how I can get there. Any suggestions?
permalink • reply with quote
6/25/2017 11:58:17 PM

Marilyn Newman
If you're still looking for guidance within your confusion about the slam poem you need to create. Take a perfect example at the movie or TV show called Jane the Virgin. I hope this helps out.
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » In Minor Need of Help