Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Elegy for a Knight

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
12/10/2016 1:24:43 PM

Terry Robinson
Rise up, Scion of La Mancha.

Destiny orbited all that you were
and encompassed all that you possessed.

Windmills stood ten-fold to the fore
when you readied your lance
and saddled your barn nag.

Its whipped hide and ungulated
hoofs cantering towards betrayal
and unfinished vows.

Your voice was virtuous in timbre
against the manifest threat of cruel
malfeasance that roamed the lands
of bogus hills and rampant mountains
charging towards the crest of your
enlightened honour.

Now, these burning candles about
your casket hold the truth
of your quests until, like you,
they peter out and die.

And then, recitations of your Quixotic
trials shall be cleaved from history.
Such is the eye of irony that wrests
away your conquests.

So, rise up Scion of La Mancha and challenge
the lies. Ride abroad with purpose once more.
Or lay where you rest and let time become
a biased judge to your well laid intentions.
edited by trobbo44 on 12/11/2016
permalink • reply with quote
12/10/2016 11:27:07 PM

Doug Vinson
Hi Terry. Not much criticism from me here. I like your poem a lot.

"Elegie" should be "Elegy," no?

"Rise up Scion of La Mancha." My opinion here is that it reads better with a comma after "up," both places in the poem where the line appears.

About the candles and the knight: "they peter and die." I realize that "peter" as a verb does not strictly have to be used with "out," but in my opinion most people are used to seeing it as "peter out," and at least momentary confusion will result for many.

"Recantations of your Quixotic trials" - should that be "recitations"? You are talking about them being removed from history, and "recantations" are already disavowals, i.e. denying or repudiating it.

"Such is the eye of irony that rests away your conquests." "Rests" should be "wrests," no?

So, just some minor spelling, punctuation and grammar stuff. I like the call for him to rise up - after all, the world needs heroes, eh? I see fond and wistful remembrance, an appreciation of the story and Quixote's intent.

Cheers,

Doug
edited by Doug Vinson on 12/10/2016
12/11/2016 4:01:03 AM

Terry Robinson
Thanks DougDoug Vinson wrote:
Hi Terry. Not much criticism from me here. I like your poem a lot.

"Elegie" should be "Elegy," no?

"Rise up Scion of La Mancha." My opinion here is that it reads better with a comma after "up," both places in the poem where the line appears.

About the candles and the knight: "they peter and die." I realize that "peter" as a verb does not strictly have to be used with "out," but in my opinion most people are used to seeing it as "peter out," and at least momentary confusion will result for many.

"Recantations of your Quixotic trials" - should that be "recitations"? You are talking about them being removed from history, and "recantations" are already disavowals, i.e. denying or repudiating it.

"Such is the eye of irony that rests away your conquests." "Rests" should be "wrests," no?

So, just some minor spelling, punctuation and grammar stuff. I like the call for him to rise up - after all, the world needs heroes, eh? I see fond and wistful remembrance, an appreciation of the story and Quixote's intent.

Cheers,

Doug
edited by Doug Vinson on 12/10/2016

Forum Home » High Critique » Elegy for a Knight