Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Be Gentle » A piece I've been working on

Post here if you're new to receiving a critique and you want "gentle" feedback on your poem. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
8/4/2015 8:48:53 AM

Hannah Tobin
I started on this piece today and would really like some comments and criticism for it. I'm not 100% sure on the direction and would like some help! The title is a working title...

He’s the Devil

there’s a boy
with fire in his eyes
and trouble in his veins.
his words are mischief
his smile is the devil
and he has you trapped.
every waking moment
you can’t stop thinking
about the touch,
his skin against yours
his hands in your hair,
what would happen
if you could just
hold him close

and kiss him.
permalink • reply with quote
8/11/2015 3:02:51 PM

Graphite Drug
Well done, but some may be put off by use of second person "you". Am wondering if first person perspective "I" would help?
8/12/2015 3:52:03 PM

George LeBlanc
I definitely agree that your piece should be in the first person. To me, the title is a little off. Maybe
"The Devil In His Eyes" or something having to do with eyes since you made that connection with the reader

at the very beginning. It's just a thought. Otherwise, nicely done.

--
The words whisper when they are ready to be born.
8/16/2015 4:32:45 AM

Edlynn Nau
YES, agreed on first person! Also title is too obvious. Think about a title that helps us anticipate what your wanting...the kiss, but doesn't say so in the title. Something like, "IGNITE"
8/27/2015 2:36:05 PM

Shaan Babu
I like it and would agree on using the first person.

good write up!
8/28/2015 8:50:45 PM

SUNIL MATHUR
A very readable piece, smooth and fast-flowing. Since the poem is about the boy rather than your experiences with him, I feel 'you' does just as well as 'I'. "he has you trapped" appears too mundane and commonplace. You could perhaps think of something better, such as 'entranced'. Capital letter at the beginning and after full-stops could be considered. Perhaps a full-stop after 'hair' and a capital letter after that. The 'him' after 'kiss' is not really needed.

Forum Home » Be Gentle » A piece I've been working on