Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » The Grieving

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
12/25/2014 10:30:04 PM

Victoria Schmidt
The Grieving

A frenzy, a chaos of
celebration all around.
Togetherness and ritual imposed while
inside of me a splintering

No respite, no escape from
faces eager to connect
to share, to love.
Grief is a mongrel here;
an agony of burden on
the righteous shoulders of joy

I can only run, crying out,
in frantic search of

This tree, this breeze that
gives me permission
gives me space
to breathe
to be

Its tapestry of lace against
a grey ocean of sky
shrouds me from expectation,
from judgement,
defending my right
to grieve
to peace

At Christmas
permalink • reply with quote
2/7/2015 6:31:38 PM

Edmund Linton
Excellent poetry - I can relate.

I'm surprised it has not been more reviewed based on the number of views. I think a lot of "poets" read poetry like they are reading the directions on a box of brownies.

Your work is very thoughtfully developed. There is, however, a bit of redundancy in several of the lines.

Maybe: "A frenzied celebration..." ???

I like "togetherness". It implies ritual without unity, but I think celebration also implies togetherness. Ritual, for me, can stand alone.

"Ritual imposed..." ???

I think a period is OK for pause.

"Respite and escape" may work better as one word...Maybe "No refuge from..."

"Connect/share" are a bit too synonymous.

I love this phrase:

"Grief is a mongrel here;
an agony of burden on
the righteous shoulders of joy"

However, an agony is always burdensome.

This is beautiful insight:

I can only run, crying out,
in frantic search of

This tree, this breeze that
gives me permission
gives me space
to breathe
to be

But the structure is a bit distracting.

I even think, "Its tapestry of grey sky" works with the ingenious line of, "shrouds me from expectation".

Again, excellent start. Run it through the crucible a few times and I think it will be gold.
2/20/2015 4:14:24 PM

Graphite Drug
What is interesting here, “this tree, this breeze” ispersonified or used to describe a holiday experience filled with festivity and tragedy. As an audience the tragedy is not specific, but connection with the tree andbreeze described helps explain how the author approaches it. Again, withrelation to tree and breeze, “tapestry” and “sky” are used to abstract andexplain the situation further. Poetry that uses multiple subjects to describe asingle theme is difficult. Some or many readers should understand this poem.Your approach is well crafted. Keep writing more.
3/6/2015 9:58:42 AM

K.M North
I liked this more once I got to the ending, with the christmas theme throwing me off what I had originally thought. Perhaps share a bit about the issue you are having with the holiday? We get alot of ideas as to how you are handling it, but nothing besides the last line to let us know what you're running from, or perhaps just christmas in general? Either way, I liked it. I'm always a fan of something that leads you in one direction and then reveals the twist.

Forum Home » High Critique » The Grieving