Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » writers block

Ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas how to write better.
9/15/2013 7:28:55 PM

Ursula Black
New to poetry on this site... AGAIN.
Writers block are a pain in the rear. I went almost half a year without being able to write anything...! Thank god I finally managed to get something to paper. What do you guys usually do to help with writers block (if you have it?)

Thanks <3
permalink • reply with quote
9/16/2013 8:35:08 AM

Just That Archaic Poet
Hi, Ursula. Sorry to hear you are having this problem, but it's one we all suffer from time to time. I'll tell you what usually gets the juices flowing for me: reading the classics. I was reading Emily Dickinson the other day and got all kinds of inspired, like, get me a pen and piece of paper FAST type inspired lol. In addition to Emily, if you are a fan of Keats or Poe or Shelley, peruse some of their work (which you can find here) and also of course everywhere on the web. I also find Radiohead to be a great musical influence. Hope these suggestions help; best of luck
edited by JustLivingLies on 9/16/2013
edited by JustLivingLies on 9/16/2013
9/23/2013 8:51:09 PM

Hsu Mr
You just have to start writing something,anything. Or you can read other people's poems and while feeling the joy or sharpness in it you will feel inspired to create your own poem that in turn will inspire other writers.
4/8/2014 5:34:11 AM

PENINNAH NGANGA
I think it is normal for every writer to undergo such,i often experience it,my way of curing this *disease* is usually by traveling to new places,learn new cultures or a new trade or a hobby,or try something new and challenging!
OR FALL IN LOVE!HEHE!!
that way,i always end up getting my inspiration back!
Good luck!
6/3/2014 7:27:17 PM

Debbie Guzzi
Chronophobic wrote:
New to poetry on this site... AGAIN.
Writers block are a pain in the rear. I went almost half a year without being able to write anything...! Thank god I finally managed to get something to paper. What do you guys usually do to help with writers block (if you have it?)

Thanks <3
6/3/2014 7:27:46 PM

Debbie Guzzi
go some where new or do something you haven'
t done before
10/1/2014 9:26:54 AM

Bob Atkinson
To reduce writer's block one could treat every poem as a training exercise, not production.
Use the brainstorming technique of doing it only for the practice. Later, you can self-criticize, edit, ponder, but never care about the quality of what you're producing while writing.
This lets you become creative without blocks, turning the blank page into reams of productive content.
5/13/2015 1:09:09 PM

Peter Dome
The worst you can do is fight it. someone once told me, to read others poems more than write your own. My own that works for me, os to forget about it do something else, ot will come back when it's ready. fotcing yourself to write, only restricts the flow further,

Another topis to comment on other peoples poems when not writing, and draw inspiration. hope tis helps. Best wishes. Tyger Tyger.

--
Poetrydome.com
5/14/2015 12:51:56 PM

Trenton Moore
Google inspiring images.
6/9/2015 1:31:51 PM

Austin Eseke
Hi,soupers,it's your boy Austin,thanks for all your contributions towards my new poems"competition" and "my love" and still expecting more feedback on them,thanks a lot and have a super day.
8/24/2015 12:55:54 PM

Greta Kitts
Heehee, just my style; thanks for an early morning laugh! BamaBoy52 wrote:
Read my poems! Your first thought will be, "that got printed ?" Soon you will be writing good stuff left and right! Best Wishes
9/8/2015 6:11:43 PM

Janet Lorenzo
People watch - create scenarios in your mind of what they are thinking/feeling/doing there. Relate that back to yourself! Interesting results
9/13/2015 6:08:16 PM

Margaret Franceschini
Hi All: I need direction. after writing a few poems here on P.S. I started ONE LOL page of a story. it's basically about a friend who is a survivor of the Sandy Storm. questions is where can I get honest critique and help in later publishing. thanks
1/31/2016 10:44:47 AM

Daniel Turner
In my limited experience, in order to find inspiration, one must write about something they are passionate about, whether your passion is love, hate, nature, some activity, family, God everyone is passionate about something. Just start writing, even if it doesn't make sense. You can always go back later and sift through the points you want to express. That is just my humble opinion.
2/20/2016 9:34:03 AM

DAH dahlusion
In my nickel-and-dime opinion:

Writers block is a myth.

If one cannot write then one has nothing to say, plain and simple.

--
http://www.amazon.com/Translator-Dah-Helmer/dp/0692415254/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437074680&sr=1-1&keywords=the+translator+%2F+dah
1/2/2017 8:45:17 PM

Carolyn Fish
Usually my writer's block comes when I try too hard to fit words into an idea or concept I have. The moment I stop trying to "fit" the words is when they start to flow. I wrote a ballad about lack of communication in love, and for hours tried so hard to fit different words/themes/myths about love into my poem. It was so forced. I stopped, took a deep breath, and envisioned what my feelings looked like, and just described what I was seeing. For me, this "envisioning" technique works every time. You just have to be OK with letting go of some expectations you might have had for how the poem would look/feel/read. Just let it flow by describing what you see in your mind's eye.
1/7/2017 12:33:11 AM

Doug Vinson
I agree, Carolyn - forcing things is useless. People often are very different, and what works for one may be worthless for another. If I'm not really "in the mood to write," then that's it - I do something else. Same as for reading a book or watching a movie, I think you have to be in the mood. Now, most professional writers don't have that luxury, and they put in their time most everyday - they make it top priority, even if just for four hours, say, if that's what they have agreed with themselves to do.

No matter how bad it is, how about just writing about that - write about the writer's block, how it makes you feel, why it seems there's nothing to be done about it, what it makes you feel like doing, etc.?
5/7/2017 4:05:18 AM

FM RT
As a teenager, I usually get inspiration from songs I love, and a lot of times, an anime that contains emotion, such as PriPara. Reading previous poems also help, and trying out a new form is always good.
7/6/2017 8:47:54 AM

Darlene De Beaulieu
How do I get ideas for poetry ,when I have writers block? Where are my ideas coming from?
8/21/2017 3:33:30 PM

Heath Barker
I free write anything that comes to mind it goes into the document. I try to really open up and write what is in my head. The consequence is if someone were to read it they would probably have you committed. A day later I come and read it again at this point I can usually pick out a couple ideas maybe some phrases if i'm lucky. Then I just refine them. Where I struggle is losing definition and emotions while trying to refine the words.

Forum Home » Writing Poetry » writers block