constructive honesty

Posted by Wesley Hill on 5/31/2026 3:22:12 PM

PAUSED

 

As I watched you leave time stood still, paused, I thought of my existence without you, and it brought me to a dark familiar place. And the coldness of your absence reminded me of the warmth that I so long to feel. And the chill of reality set me alone on the path to a labyrinth of memories I had long forgotten. Lost in a maze, despair had set in, and death seemed better than being enslaved to a picture show on a loop that would never end. And the surreal existence in a world of smoke and points took me straight to the pits of hell. I could almost see you in the distance, but I was so far gone even your pain and your hell wasn’t hot enough to burn me alive. Through clouds of smoke so opaque and muffled sounds of sweet psalms, I felt as though swimming through chaotic flames in a life lost to a speed fueled demon casting stings through points of blood. As the dawn of a new day comes Angelic beams in Avenues of hope there I was with surrender and awe. Saved by grace and mercy abound, I couldn’t reach your loving stare!

As I watched you leave time stood still, paused, I stood my ground.

by wesley hill


Login to post a reply or subscribe

Replies

Be the first to post a reply.
Get a Premium Membership
Turn off ads, get more exposure for your poetry, and get more features with a Premium Membership.
Book: Diverse Voices: The Poetry of Human Rights and the Pursuit of Peace