MY NEW CONTEST IS BOTH FOR THE SPIRITUAL AND SECULAR!
First, I would like to ask that all those that enter this PARTICULAR contest read this to its entirety. Especially THE ABOUT THE JUDGING.
I’d like us to celebrate our diversity here on the Soup with a contest.
Both those with and without faith will soon be celebrating light, delights and/or enlightenment, however that is perceived. The following months will be filled with fireworks, food and festivities, wondrous harmony and the unifying joy of possibility.
So pick a holiday/significant day that signifies light, is filled with delights or focuses on enlightenment during the late fall/winter season:
Chinese New Year
If you are atheist or humanist or simply do not wish to write about any of the above please feel free to submit a poem about:
Human Rights Day
International Solidarity Day
Global Family Day
World Peace Day
World Wide Candle lighting Day
It is up to you to research this day!
I ask that no one malign another belief within their poems.
Now, the form... I pick.... drum roll..... a modified Kyrielle.
The kyrielle is written in quatrains with a rhyme scheme of aabB ccbB ddbB eebB ... etc. B is a repeating line. You may write 4 – 8 quatrains for this contest. Now, usually a kyrielle a poem of prayer that has a repeating line such as “Lord, have mercy” I am asking you to instead write a kyrielle that has a repeating line or altered repeating line that speaks of your experience/memories of your chosen holiday/ holy day. As long as the last word of the forth line of each quatrain is the same.
If you wish to keep it as a prayer for peace, hope, joy, you may do so.
I would like you to take this where you wish. It can focus on one aspect of the celebration. It can be sad, funny, light, deep, nostalgic or hopeful. It can be a personal tradition or a longing for what never was.
So, here is an example of what I’m looking for:
O Tannebaum at the Christkindl Market
By Cyndi MacMillan
The Christkindl market is filled
with dazed shoppers and the good willed,
sipping cider, a fragrant balm
for those toasting the Tannebaum.
Schnitzel, pfeffernusse, strudel,
Sausages, hot buttered noodles,
dutch treats, chocolate from Belgium,
each savored near the Tannenbaum.
Organ grinders and bell ringers,
Alpine dancers, German singers,
chilled voices join, some only hum
close to the greens of Tannebaum.
Mary waves from a real manger,
smiles pass from stranger to stranger,
far from holy lands, sand and palms,
we praise the gift of Tannenbaum.
Christkind has come, God’s only boy,
He brings to all love, hope and joy,
we hold hands, embrace the sweet calm
then softly sing O Tannenbaum.
1) Write a 4-8 verse MODIFIED Kyrielle
2) Here’s what I’m really looking for: language, flow and style. A few devices (contrast, enjambment or unique metaphors) . Non-forced rhyme — use slant/off if it fits better and helps to avoid the overdone rhyme. ONLY A SELECT FEW ADJECTIVES/ADVERBS USED. No needless modifiers remain, but the poem contains the ones required for syntax and legibility. VERBS DAZZLE. NOUNS ARE SUPERB. Clichés? None! The poem speaks from the heart, is personal and REAL. THERE ARE EMOTIONS IN THE LINES. The poem has a beginning, a middle and an ending, it moves forward. IT ENDS STRONGLY. Nothing tossed me out of the poem, no word seems out of place. I love poems and if it speaks to my heart than OF COURSE it will still place. But to garnish the top spots, it must ALSO make me think as a poet, “I WANT TO WRITE LIKE THAT!”
4) Feel free to soupie/comment me with any questions. I’m always happy to help!
5) Hope I didn’t scare you off! I do want you to have fun! And those who have entered my contest before know that if I see even a hint of effort, you will receive a placement!
6) Please, once the contest is closed, read my blog. I highlight what made the winning poems special in my eyes. There will be multiple placements.
ABOUT THE JUDGING ( PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS)
TRUST will play a large role in this contest. You will need to trust me that I will give equal attention and judge based on poetic content, devices, style and flow. I will need to trust that those who enter my contest will know me well enough that they will see that I take the craft of poetry seriously and that I will not be accused of faith-favoritism. Some may say that I’m looney-tunes to even think of having such an open and broad spectrum contest. Hey, I think we can do this! Really!
HAVE FUN! WOW ME!