Terms and Conditions of PoetrySoup Membership
We work very hard to maintain a certain environment here at PoetrySoup. We work hard to keep PoetrySoup a haven, a refuge from external troubles, and a place of poetic encouragement and growth. As a result, here are some important things for ALL Soupers to keep in mind.
- While we respect our Poets' freedom of expression, there are certain subjects and content that will not be allowed on PoetrySoup. Posting poems containing this content will result in deletion of your poetry and possible membership suspension for repeat offenders. Examples of unacceptable content or subjects are:
- Sexually Explicit (X-Rated) Language
- Profanity (Curse Words or Abbreviated Curse Words)
- Nasty Comments (E.g. "This is CRAP!!!")
- Personal Attacks, Battles, or Slamming Soup Members (Do not use a member's name in poems or comments - unless it is positive!!!)
- Hateful Expressions (E.g. "I should have killed her")
- Rule violators may NOT receive a warning before accounts are deleted (Offending poems or comments are deleted immediately).
- You may only have one PoetrySoup account.
- Remember, people have different opinions. That does not make them wrong. Be considerate of other's opinions.
- Because PoetrySoup is a public forum, the contents, thoughts and ideas expressed in individual poems may not reflect the ideology of PoetrySoup.
- PoetrySoup will do its best to periodically monitor the contents of the poems to assure they remain in good taste. The definition of "good taste" is at the discretion of PoetrySoup.
- The poems on this site must be entered by the poets themselves. By submitting a poem, the poet agrees to allow PoetrySoup to publish their poem online and in print.
- Poems are published on this site purely for the purpose of wholesome reading pleasure and with good intentions. If a Poet does not have legal rights to the poem they have posted on PoetrySoup, it will be removed immediately. We guarantee to fulfill such demands within 48 hours. (PoetrySoup reserves the right to investigate whether the person submitting that demand is authorized to do so or not).
- Service can be terminated at any time. PoetrySoup reserves the right to do so without notice and for any reason. If service is terminated, no further access will be allowed to the offending member. Posted works will be deleted.
- There is no promise, no guarantee, and no warranty that display will be continually available or that works will be stored indefinitely. Members are advised to store their works elsewhere and not to depend on PoetrySoup for storage.
- PoetrySoup reserves the right to use contact information, including email addresses, from each member to contact him or her about special offers, membership notices, news, and like activities. General PoetrySoup emails are sent to members about once every two weeks.
- Individual contact information is not shared. However, complete member databases, NOT including email addresses, may be shared with select Sponsors.
- A member must keep an active e-mail and residential address on file at PoetrySoup at all times; failure of which can result in service termination.
- Contest checks will be written to the names on your PoetrySoup account. Thus, members must use their real names that are traditional in format (e.g. William Smith, Jane Jones). Using a name that is deemed unacceptable by the staff of PoetrySoup will be cause for termination of a membership. Examples of unacceptable names are: Death Clown, Innocence Lost, Lonely Child, etc. The staff of PoetrySoup feels that one can only expect to be taken as serious as they present themselves and that the use of pen names lowers the quality of our efforts, our community, and our site. Do not use pen names.
- Members are expected to post ORIGINAL work on this site. Using another's work without proper acknowledgment or permission and copyrighting it as your own, is plagiarism, which is a crime. Any members suspected of plagiarism are immediately removed.
- Member acknowledges that due to the nature of the Internet and the database driven nature of the site that there are no guarantees of privacy.
- Patronage or donations to the site is not a guarantee of membership.
- PoetrySoup reserves the right to change any of the terms and condition of use and membership at any time, without notice.
- Anyone can enter the PoetrySoup contest simply by submitting an original poem, 2500 characters or less (about 500 words), on any subject, in any style. All contest winners will receive correspondence via U.S. Mail concerning their winning entry within four weeks of the contest entry deadline.
- Members may use this Web site to advertise or generate business for oneself. PoetrySoup will forward potential buyers of your Poetry to your email address only.