Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

PaulaSwanson - all messages by user

8/12/2010 6:03:48 PM
New Hello and Welcome Renee. You will mainly find the comments on poems here to be gentle and kind. If you would like critique, there is an area here in the forums just for that. I enjoy constructive criticism for my poetry. But, being human, I also love the praise. LOL. I look forward to reading your work.
~Paula
8/12/2010 6:06:32 PM
New Hello Irene,
I have found that there are many faiths on board here at the soup. Christianity plays a big roll in some poets work, as in their lives. All forms of poetry are welcome, within the parameters set by Team Poetry Soup. No vulgar, etc. So, write from your heart and soul. Be it silly, of nature, introspection, whatever strikes your fancy. Don't forget to check out the contest area. It's fun, challenging and a great way to learn the different forms of poetry.
~Paula
10/24/2010 4:33:04 PM
My Faith to Wash Away (critique please?) tara jennings wrote:
Okay I am a little hurt. When I started soup I wanted fellowship, critique, a sense that somebody in the world understands me. The first comments and contest I placed in made me like giddy happy. Then I realised all the comments were generic comments that are posted every where because every one here is trying for "points". So I stopped getting happy like that and was just glad some body read my words. Then I found this forum and thought "Ah ha! here is a place I can find true writing philosophy and the guidance I need to improve the structure of wording." But no, No one has felt the need to help me. In fact I think half of the "number of reads" is from checking a couple time a day myself to see if some one has. In fact, I did not see many comments on any bodies post here on the forum. I thought soup was a great way to share a part of myself that I am too shy to share in person and now I am starting to think it's like the other on line social sites and is based on "social status" and not art work.
edited by tara jennings on 10/22/2010
10/24/2010 4:38:57 PM
My Faith to Wash Away (critique please?) Hi Tara. Sorry you are feeling left out. I understand completely what you mean about generic comments. I recelive them too. But, I keep plugging away. The way to get comments on your poetry, is to also comment on others poetry. Kind of a tit for tat thing. I mmyself have very little computer time each day. I am usually busy posting a poem for comments or for a contest. The contests are great ways to learn. I have learned more about forms and style through the contests than I ever knew before. When I comment, it is on how the poem made me feel. How I hold it up to the light and see what it offers me. I will be looking for your poems and will leave REAL comments for you. Regarding critique. I am the last person to offer advice or critique. As I tend to wander all over the poetic forms and puncutation debate of using it or not. So for now, I hope my comments on your work will suffice. Your friend in poetry~~~Paula
6/10/2011 8:05:08 PM
My first post on this site. Any critiques? good?? Hi , You state here in a comment, that you want your words to flow off the page and suck the readers in. Well, the best way to do that is without boundaries. Don't let rhyme fence you in. There is more to poetry than simple rhyme. Sometimes, a great poem can be less, when the rhymes are forced. You have a great start to an amazing poem. Try "Free Verse" it is a poetic form that does not restrain you. In Free Verse, you do not have to stick to strict rhyme and meter and all that stuff. you simply write. Free Verse will have the sound and feel of poetry to it. You can have subtle rhymes within. The best thing for you to do is explore the poetic forms here. On the left side of this page, you will see links (written in blue). scroll down to the "Resources Area" Then click on Forms Of Poetry and start exploring. They are listed alphabetically, so you can click on the letter (in blue) at the top to go there first. So take a look at Free Verse. Above each form, you will see a link to Examples of that form. Click on that. It will bring up poems written by other members, in that particular form. Somewhere in there, you will find a form that jumps out and grabs you. Then go ahead and check out all the other links on that side of the page. The Rhyming dictionary (in blue) is a great help.
edited by PaulaSwanson on 6/10/2011
6/19/2011 5:11:02 PM
Sensual, erotic poems are "sexually explicit?" Imagery is key to any poem. But when language used to express that imagery is vulgar, then it has crossed the lines within poetry soup. I am sure that most folks, in using common sense, know that certain words, such as curse words are not allowed. Along with sexually explicit words. I have a poem that starts out .."If twilight be a Fair Maids breast... That poem was acceptable. It is all in the imagery. Not the individual words.
6/23/2011 4:42:17 PM
PIN CUSHION Very poignant!! Well done. The concise thoughts are neatly laid out. You could easily get by without the use of the ...... at the end of each line. It gives the impression that the thoughts are linked as one. When in reality, each of your lines stand alone, with strength. You could do the poem like this:

Prick after prick

I start to bleed

This poison dart

is what I need

This poison concoction

that helps me hang on

Makes me feel good

like nothing is wrong

By not using punctuation at all. It gives a punch. Just use capitols and lower case letters to lead the line on.

Or use punctuation....like this:

Prick after prick,

I start to bleed.

This poison dart,

is what I need

This poison concoction,

that helps me hang on,

makes me feel good.

Like nothing is wrong.

Just remember, when it comes to punctuation, including the use of ...... to much, can hurt the flow. Such as comma's. They give a pause or breath. But overuse, can kill the flow.

Keep writing. You have a strong skill for imagery.

Paula
7/31/2011 4:36:25 PM
I can not get any new poems to post. Any Ideas? I suggest contacting Team Soup Administration on this one. Scroll to the bottom of any page. There, in highlighted yellow, are the words "Contact Us" click on that link and send your question to the Team.
8/14/2011 11:48:10 PM
posting and editing That is just how it is. It takes a while to get the hang of it. The best thing to do is just play around with a poem. Change it, move it, ad spacing, center it, etc. That way you can look at it each time in the "New Poems-All" area and see how each change you make, reflects in the poem that everyone sees
9/23/2011 4:08:34 PM
Finding and Reading Someone's Bio I believe this info only shows up in the "Blog" area. If someone posts a blog, their bio will show up to the right of the blog when you read it. Hope this helps
9/25/2011 10:58:13 PM
How To Omit Your Name From Contest Entry Lets tackle the contest entry first. Go to your "Member Area". To do that, look to the left side of this page. The very first link (in blue) that you see, is to your Member Area. Click on that. Once in your Member Area, go to the section marked "My Poetry Links". There you will see a heading marked "My Member Contest Entries", Click on that. Up will pop a page that lists all the contests you entered with the poems you entered. There you will also find an edit/delete area. Click edit next to the poem you want to edit. After editing your poem, scroll down and click to submit the revisions. That's it. Best thing you can do, to find other helpful items, is to click into each area in blue (links) either in your Member Area or here on the left side of the page. You will find some really great stuff.
Now, about contacting a Soup member. You already found one way to see a list of a persons poems. In that list, click on a poem. In the header area, nest to their name, you will see an icon of an envelope and a bowl of soup. Click on that. You are now on a page to send a SOUP MAIL to that person. Once you write your mail and type in the code. and validate it, the Soup Mail is sent. You can also read Soup mail to you. There is a link to your Soup Mail in the Members Area.

Hope all this helps

Paula
9/30/2011 12:26:15 AM
swearing in poems Generations are, well, generations apart. Not only in years and values, but in how we view the world. I come from a generation where it was impolite to swear like a trucker in front of a lady. Now days, ladies swear worse than truckers. Well, some do, that is. I find the use of the F bomb to be offensive. Yet, there are some, so called curse words, that are not offensive to me in poetry. I believe that with changing times, comes changes in what society accepts as O.K. The young can accept these changes much better than the old. (not that I am that old). If the only way you can get your point across in poetry, is by the exclusive use of curse words, than maybe poetry isn't for you. An occasional word used for emphasis is fine. In my opinion, that is. But, the Soup has its rules and by posting here we agree to follow those rules. There are plenty of other sites that allow all the cursing freedom one could want. So, you are not being gagged and bound in your expressions, just tempered, here at the Soup.
10/2/2011 10:48:51 PM
poem- samantha Hi Mike,
You obviously have deep feelings for Samantha.

One thing to think about when writing poetry is to not repeat yourself, if you can help it.

As in the lines that start...."Her lips" "Her eyes" "her Face" etc. The same with the lines that start with the word "She's"

Also, any extra words you can do without...scrap them.

You might try something like this.....

With lips as soft as silk,

eyes, pure as rain,

a face of flowered beauty;

Samantha.

Her personality is smiles,

a touch, keeps me going for miles.

She is the greatest;

Samantha

Her presence for me is so right,

keeps me going, through the night.

I love her;

Samantha

My best friend, girlfriend.

and lover

All that I need;

Samantha

This is just one idea. You also might play around with syllable count. Not all poems need to have exact syllable counts in each line. But, there are times, when the use of syllable counts helps the flow of the poem. Makes it slide easy on the tongue.

You will noticed that I change the line "I love you" to "I love her" You should try to stay in the tense that you begin in. Such as the past tense, present tense or future tense. You start out writing about her, then by using the term "I love you" you are writing TO her. hope that makes sense to you.

Just always read your poem out loud. Not just in your head. Read it a loud and see how it flows. Was it easy to speak? Did it flow effortlessly or did it tend to trip up?

Then, play with changing or dropping a few words here and there.

Just don't ever give up. You will find your flow. Each poem is unique. Never get stuck in a rut. Don't let anyone discourage you. You have a heart that wants to speak....let it.

``Paula
edited by PaulaSwanson on 10/2/2011
10/7/2011 4:02:29 PM
ways to spice up anniversary The advice I always give my sons when asking for romance advice is this...Never stop courting. One idea is to take her to the exact spot you had your first date. If possible, have them play the first song you ever danced to. Candy doesn't last, flowers die. But, a gift from the heart lasts forever. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money. A moonlight walk on the beach or through your favorite park. Fix her dinner all by yourself, the key is to clean up all the mess afterwards by yourself as well LOL. Little things from the heart, mean more than the most expensive diamond.
Good luck!
10/13/2011 7:47:13 PM
posting and editing Lori wrote:
Question? I had a poem entered in a member contest "TURN ON THE LATERNE" and won a 6th place in the contest now it doesn't show up on my community ranking page or on the contest winner page What happened help please!!!!Thank you for your help!------Lori

Hi Lori, Did you perhaps delete the poem somehow? That is they only thing I can think of. You may want to contct administration and ask them. Sorry I couldn't give you a more helpful answer.`Paula
10/13/2011 7:49:56 PM
posting and editing PoetricalRhymer87 wrote:
I need help with something I know how to post poems on here but I've recently been trying to add a poem and its not letting it up and I don't know why I contacted poetry soup but they said it should come on in the list of poems but it is not working ? Anybody know why or what to do?

The Soup has been experiencing technical difficulties of late. Hackers, server problems, you name it. I suggest trying to post your poem at a later time. Maybe tmr. One idead might be this...Make sure you pick a category and a form in the Post A Poem area. If you forget, it will not post the poem until you do choose one. Just an idea.~~Paula
edited by PaulaSwanson on 10/13/2011
pages: 1