Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

paghat - all messages by user

1/22/2018 2:14:55 PM
Jessica Amanda Salmonson I've written poetry since I was a child and now I'm an old lady. It's an odd obsession. Over the years I've had many collections of new and collected verse, including "The Black Crusader and Other Poems of Horror" (Missouri: W. D. Firestone, 1979), "On the Shores of Eternity" (Seattle: Duck's-foot Tree, 1980), "Innocent of Evil: Poems in Prose" (Wisconsin: Dream House, 1984), "The Ghost Garden" (Liverpool: Dark Dreams Press, 1988), "The Goddess Under Siege" (Seattle: Street of Crocodiles, 1992), "The Death Sonnets" (England: Rainfall, 2015), "Pets Given in Evidence of Old English Witchcrafrt and Other Bewitched Beings" (Minneapolis: Sidecare Preservation Society, 2016), and several others.

For my Poetry Soup page I've decided to post chiefly humorous verse, as my dead-serious gloomy horrors and fantasies usually go to anthologies and magazines, often for a smidgen of money, though getting paid a copy or two of a print journal is enough for me to want to participate.
2/2/2018 6:09:40 PM
To Gaze Too Far I disagree with Stephen insofar as aching long unrequited love evokes universal feelings. But it's true the form taken here is personal and makes one think of the poet, not of one's self, or of the "story" inherent to the poem. If the many references to myth and fantasy had been used literally, then that "story" would be of mythic desire, an actual fantasy, and increase in possible universality. Although poetry being a matter of taste, many will prefer just what was written, of personal angst, not a fairy tale which not everyone likes most, though I do.
3/8/2018 8:03:37 PM
Gods Mirror It's too much syrup for me, makes my teeth hurt, but I assume religious fanatics would enjoy it.
3/8/2018 8:05:27 PM
Along the Highway (A Sestina) Packed with moody imagery, I quite liked this, really can't criticique as it seems finished.
3/8/2018 8:08:19 PM
Pull Myself Together It's a moving poem and works emotionally. I don't "see" much however and just reading an interior monologue without location or event isn't generally a thrill. But if emotion was the only intent it succeeds.
pages: 1