Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Tony Devers - all messages by user

3/9/2017 4:25:17 PM
Why do you do it? I'm not sure why I write poetry. And I'm equally unsure whether or not I enjoy doing it. I had a fairly prolific period after I changed jobs, a while back, and that seemed to last for about two years. Maybe it was the release from the pressure and intensity of a job I didn't really like doing.

I'm ill disciplined though. How do other writers spur themselves to keep going when it's so easy just to do something else? There are so many distractions available also. Shakespeare couldn't get lured away by the internet; he didn't even have to worry about the phone going. I suppose he also relied on his writing to pay the bills.

Finally, how do you know if your stuff will ever appeal to even one or two readers? An artist friend of mine went into a bit of a tailspin recently when someone, with the best will in the world, asked him if it was all worth it. Self doubt, you see. I bet that's caused the stillbirth of any number of creative endeavours.

Anyway, back on message; why do I write? Dunno? How do I write? Pick up the damn pen. God bless you all.
4/4/2017 4:57:30 AM
"Love At First Sight" I absolutely believe in love at first sight - having experienced "the Thunderbolt" described by Mario Puzo in The Godfather (book, not film). The trouble is though, you can only assess that first sight in hindsight. So if a couple are both of a romantic persuasion, it's easy to reinforce the impression of love at first sight by reminding each other constantly of the first time you met. Did you really knock each other over with the power of a charged glance, or is that just how you choose to remember it? Does it matter?
edited by Tony Devers on 4/4/2017
4/4/2017 5:10:01 AM
Any one tell if this is ok ? I like it. Has a nice rhythm, it's accessible, touching and there is a hint of humour in the line 'alas it came from you'. Could probably do with a bit more work just to scan one or two of the lines better. And if the ambiguity the narrator appears feels about the matter is intentional, I think this could maybe do with being emphasised a bit more. But to answer the question "Is this ok?", yeah, it is. I enjoyed reading it.
4/12/2017 11:00:38 AM
What's Curvaceous? Curves really ought to be celebrated. When a woman asks "does my bum look big in this?", how many men are thinking "oh yeah honey, big and sweet and lovely", but knowing what's good for them, meekly answer "no babes, of course not"?
4/16/2017 2:18:40 PM
should I stay or should I go. Hang in their Gerard. The way I look at it, if even one person is a genuinely affected by one line I write, then I have achieved something.
4/18/2017 9:36:18 AM
Israel declares open war on France, Europe... Oh dear...
5/22/2017 4:32:52 AM
Something feels missing with this one I think the last line works well. It leaves an absence - what, or who, do you answer - that pulls the reader back into the poem, and thus into the shark infested waters.
The use of rhyme adds emphasis and reinforces the drive of the poem. Perhaps be careful of over doing it though.
As for something being missing - perhaps trust the reader to fill in the gaps?
edited by Tony Devers on 5/22/2017
pages: 1