Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

authorised1960 - all messages by user

5/7/2017 12:49:18 AM
Hello - One Year plus on... Hi, I've been a member of PS for more than a year now but have never formally introduced myself.

I write mediocre poetry and better-than-average short stories as a hobby. A reasonable number of both are submitted for you to look over.

I've had around a couple of thousand hits on my works to date, but very few comments, which I find extremely frustrating and - if I'm being totally honest - downright annoying. The lack of response to my work does not exactly encourage me to (a) continue to contribute to the site; (b) invite me to engage with others on the site or (c) continue to write at all...

Please, if you DO read any of my stuff, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT, whether it be critical or complimentary. I'm a grown-up; I can take it
5/7/2017 12:52:55 AM
Old Memories Some of your couplets work well, whilst others are a little contrived and forced. This is a nice enough poem though.
5/7/2017 12:59:14 AM
The Gallivanting Mother The immediate impression one is left with after reading your poem is the unnecessary repetition of the line "Where goes thou again?". Six times in such a short piece is overkill at least. The theme of the poem and the content is strange and somewhat confusing (and confused) and that last line? What on earth is that all about? Sorry, this - for me - is just too esoteric and way-out for my taste.
edited by authorised1960 on 5/7/2017
5/7/2017 1:06:20 AM
THE INCOGNIZANT DANCE WITH DEATH Some of your couplets work better than others. However, the last couple are so clumsily constructed that they undermine - and ruin - the whole poem. The use of 'cuz' instead of 'because' is unacceptable laziness, especially as it was unnecessary. 'Because' would have scanned just as well if you'd left out the word 'do' from the same line. Overall, a good effort, but take care with future works.
edited by authorised1960 on 5/7/2017
5/7/2017 1:10:59 AM
A mistake Too short to really make much of an emotional or visceral impact. To me, a series of words with little to link them is not really poetry, but that's just MY opinion. Clearly you know how to use words; perhaps stretching yourself to write something longer and more 'conventional' would show us more of your talent than this nondescript effort?
5/27/2017 1:30:36 AM
This place is a joke I share the frustration of those who have commented before me. I actually find it slightly insulting to see that various of my works have had several HUNDRED views and not one single comment. That smacks of either (a) laziness on behalf of the reader; (b) snobbishness on the part of the reader deeming my work not worthy of comment or (c) pure unadulterated ignorance.
Not one person on this site - or any other site like it - is above criticism, critiquing or learning something new, however well established they may be. The only way we learn and improve is by giving and receiving feedback on our work. No-one is above that.
I've written stories and poems for more than forty-five years and still consider myself a 'novice' in the field. Yes, some of my stuff is good - very good at times - but not brilliant. I would like to get better at what I do but as nobody ever bothers to tell me how and where I can improve I'll never learn.
Anyone who reads another's work and does not bother to comment is doing that author a disservice. Shame on you!
5/27/2017 1:38:03 AM
Disrespecting children I wasn't going to comment on your thread until I read it through thoroughly. Your somewhat effusive language in your description of kids is worrying, to be frank. You come across like someone who is rather too interested in children, to be honest... It may help explain why your thread has had almost a thousand views but this is only the second comment... May I suggest that you take the time to re-edit your post so that it doesn't come across as quite as creepy as it does at present?
6/4/2017 12:25:56 AM
How do I get more comments/opinions from readers It seems to me that people here are 'generous' enough to read one's work but not to take the time or make the effort to actually comment. I find that both puzzling and intensely frustrating. I am also aware, of course, that not everyone who reads my work is and actual member of PS, so that has to also be taken into account. Even so, that does not excuse the members - especially the long-term members - who do not make the effort to leave comments or critiques. We are none of us experienced to the point that we have nothing left to learn...
7/9/2017 7:49:19 AM
This place is a joke and how many comments have you left on the works you have read?
pages: 1