Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Barry - all messages by user

12/22/2016 4:54:28 PM
Please comment on this. Hello Adeniji.

This is a very nice descriptive piece. I think that if you want to improve this the thing to do would be to look at the number of syllables you are using in each line. A poem flows better if there are a similar number of syllables in each line. Use Poetry Soup syllable counter. In some stanzas two short lines could be written as a single line. It does not matter whether you use 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 syllables, it is up to you.

Also always read your work aloud to see how it sounds.

This is a good piece and worth a bit of trimming.
1/2/2017 9:48:15 AM
REPUTATION Can somebody please tell me what 'Reputation' in the forum profile is and how it is measured?
1/5/2017 3:44:35 PM
REPUTATION Thank you, Doug, I think that is about right.
1/15/2017 8:33:10 AM
Mindless feelings I read this as being about a sense of anti-climax after the festive season. I think the end of the poem is better than the beginning. What is 'ominous glory'. The sentiment is good but I would consider re-writing this as a Tanka using the last five lines.
2/12/2017 3:03:04 PM
How to use the correct structure for my poetry There is no correct structure for writing poetry, it all depends on what you are trying to express and how you want to express it. Subject to the standard rules of English usage. You should be able to get guidance from the publisher's submission guidelines and previous work published by them. Changing your sentence construction could change the sense and meaning of your poem, you will have to decide if that is what you want. I do not know this publisher but if they only have a fixed format it might be a good idea to look somewhere else.
3/7/2017 3:19:25 AM
Poetry Forms Hello John. A four line stanza with lines (2,4) rhyming but not lines (1,3) is a Quatrain. If lines (1,3) also rhyme in a four line stanza this can also be called a Quatrain.
edited by Barry on 3/8/2017
5/19/2017 2:33:23 PM
Please let me know how you feel. I need your help. Did the site give an alternative expression they thought was more correct? It might depend on whether the site expected poetry or prose. I find there is more freedom in sentence construction in poetry than prose. Poetic form allows for rhythm and meter which is not required in prose. Personally, in a poetic form I see nothing wrong with it.
5/19/2017 2:37:03 PM
How do we write a poem? A poem can be as long or short as you want it to be. Have a look at 'Forms' on the top subject bar to see different forms of poem. Fairy tales are acceptable but probably better if it is your own created fairy tail rather than adapting a traditional one.
6/5/2017 4:42:13 PM
Editing Click on the Manage Poems on the left hand column of the home page to give you a list of all your poems. You will see an edit button beside each poem.
pages: 1