Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

WarriorPoet - all messages by user

4/12/2014 1:25:05 AM
Salutations! Hello. My name is Mark. I'm a retired Army NCO working in Monterey CA. I live in Marina CA and volunteer as a Scoutmaster there. I've been writing poetry and lyrics since about 1984, though never published. Am working on recording some songs now. Besides composing songs, I also sing and learned to play piano, concert flute, keyboards, acoustic guitar, fife, electric guitar, bass guitar, and my church organ on Sundays. I've studied intensely French, Spanish, Russian, Serbian, and Croatian; know some German too, though I rarely use any of them except French now (my wife is French). I love to read, especially Science Fiction novels.
4/12/2014 1:28:11 AM
featured poems I'm in the same boat. Several people said my lyric "Tropical Getaway" was featured last week, but I haven't figured out how/where.
4/12/2014 1:34:19 AM
Featured poems Hello. My name is Mark. Several people congratulated me for having my poem, Tropical Getaway, featured last week. I'm new to this website. What does it mean that it was featured somewhere? Is there a link to currently featured poems?
4/12/2014 1:53:48 AM
why wear pants so low If more of these teen knuckleheads knew where that fad came from, fewer of them would do it. Inmates in prison would walk around with their pants lowered as a way to advertize their willingness to be used for anal sex. YUCK!
4/12/2014 2:00:55 AM
Alone I've found that the best way to get out from being alone is to attend your church denomination. I was in the Army for 20 years. Every time I moved stations, I always got more help and attention from my new congregations than I did from from my new Army units' personnel. This is probably generally true and not specific to my denomination (though LDS folks have a reputation for welcoming and helping new members).
4/12/2014 2:02:13 AM
AM I THE ONLY TEEN ON POETRY SOUP? I've been a teen since October 1973. Do I still count?
4/12/2014 2:05:24 AM
Depression and Hope I have found that writing poetry or lyrics can have a cathartic effect on purging emotions. On the other hand, striving for inspiration to come up with an idea to write about can drive me nuts sometimes! I'm pretty good with words if I can come up with an idea to work with. A few of my lyrics are on that topic.
4/12/2014 2:07:12 AM
NEED SOME HUGS Better late than never. Mark sends you positive vibes, and a prayer heavenward for your well being and peace of mind.
4/12/2014 2:10:58 AM
What really gets on my nerves... In principal I agree with you. Depending on where you access comments sent to you though, it isn't always easy to reply.
4/18/2014 2:05:51 PM
Looking for more than what I am finding I heard in a discussion about dating back in the 80s this idea: Instead of focusing on finding MR or MS Right, focus your efforts on becoming MR or MS Right. I found that very wise. Another good piece of advice I had heard was to try to meet people while doing something somewhere that you enjoy doing, that way you already start with a common interest. With this in mind, avoid looking for the right person in places like bars. If your religious, make friends with girl/guys in church. If your some type of profession-geek, make contacts in that crowd. The advice worked for me 24 years ago. I was visiting Paris, and met my wife in one of my denomination's chapels in Paris, which was not inconvenient because I speak French and lived on an Army base in West Germany at the time.
3/6/2015 5:44:14 PM
Oh no, not another skunk! I've seen online a recipe to neutralize skunk spray. I know it has hydrogen peroxide and dish soap in it. It reportedly is more effective than tomato juice (and doesn't stain white-furred dogs red). We've used it several times and can vouch for the recipe.
pages: 1