Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » Sensitive and honest question

Don't Post Poetry Here!!! Talk about anything or need a shoulder to cry on? Share your thoughts and emotions here:
12/19/2021 1:43:21 PM

Meghan Hutchings
Hi fellow brilliant poets...I have been on this site for a while. Writing has always been a huge part of my life, and most of my best poems are not yet even on here. However, I've been through a string of tragedies over the last 3 years, which means nothing to this topic, but my poetry has helped me cope. One thing I've love doing is entering poetry contest because it challenges my mind and soul to reach above and beyond. I have won a couple, thank you so much to the sponsors. Also, thank you to those of you who comment on my poetry. I've noticed, though, that, and I mean this as gently as possible, there are many sponsors of contests who win every single contest put out there, whereas I feel that my writing may be better suited for that win. Basically, I feel that there is favoritism among people who sponsor contests in being giving winning places. I know that sounds petty, but I always speak my truth. Then, if I do win, I see how many comments everyone gets, and I may have one from the sponsor. I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt my feelings. When I comment on other people's poems, I put my heartfelt feedback into what I say. I know I am a talented writer, but I am not conceited. There are so many better poets out there. However, I have also seen my work in comparison and I don't feel the judging was fair, whether it says it was blind or not. Any thoughts? Please be kind, as I'm not trying to be rude.
permalink • reply with quote
12/26/2021 2:36:46 PM

L MILTON HANKINS
MeghanC11, I cannot speak for other sponsors, but I am qualified to judge poems, based on having taught English, creative writing and having, as a teacher, judged many forensic meets. I have also published widely in journals, magazines, and newspapers for many years. That being said, I judge "blind," that simply means I don't know who wrote what. However, sometimes I will recognize a poet's work by their unique style. I would say that one of the reasons you are seeing the same poets winning over and over is that these poets are consistently producing quality work and submitting it to the contests. I hope this helps alleviate some of your misgivings.
edited by L MILTON HANKINS on 12/26/2021
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » I just need to talk... » Sensitive and honest question