Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » New To PoetrySoup

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
4/30/2020 2:32:27 AM

Thomas Wells
Hello Everyone!

I am another newcomer at your door. I should probably clarify that I'm not exactly new to poetry and fiction writing. I began writing poetry when I was 14 and if my math is correct, that would be 55 years ago. Actually I started getting serious at about age 24. At least that's when I began submitting my writing for publication. Almost everything I wrote was rejected and in those days, editors rarely publicly stated they would accept simultaneous submissions (even if they would). The rejection could also be very bruising after waiting many months. I had a big collection of pink slips. In that sense, the market hasn't changed to this day. Just in case that's your experience now, you need to develop thick skin. It happens to the best of writers. But eventually I broke in as I began to figure out the market for poetry and fiction, at least in the small presses. Indeed, I even published my first short story at age 24. Skipping forward a few decades to the present, my writing is almost exclsusively focused on poetry now. Maybe that was my first love all along. At any rate, I have posted a number of my poems on here and since not all poems are created equal, I welcome your honest critique of my writing. Yes, when it comes to poetry I feel like a child. I am a lifelong learner, so if you are 13 or 103, I will welcome your advice. Cool
edited by Poetintense on 4/30/2020
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » Introductions » New To PoetrySoup