Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » To Gaze Too Far

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
1/25/2018 5:07:17 AM

Key Keller
So lonely to love her light
To gaze too far and fall
To reach for her, through earthly plight
Should she hear my mortal call
Behold such beauty bold
Perched high atop Apollo's tree
Breathing hope into my mortal soul,
So shameless and carelessly
So, unapologetically
Oh to walk in dreams; with dreams
To fly across earth's cloud filled skies
Gilded chariots thunderous and free
See all, with divine eyes
Free of all, natural law
This love will never be
To love such a creature is loneliness
Forever out of reach for me

edited by Phoenix411 on 1/27/2018
edited by Phoenix411 on 1/27/2018
permalink • reply with quote
1/29/2018 1:01:34 PM

Stephen Wilson-Floyd
This is a lyric poem about a love that cannot be. In my opinion, it is best suited for self-reflection and/or family, friends and that special someone, the focus of the poem. For a wider audience, these poems are incredibly hard to write for two reasons. First, so many poets have already written about unrequited love (better than you or I can ever do, my friend). Second, lyric poems are a pretty tired out form historically. For lyric poems to be surprising (and poems should be), many poets are contorting language into what is called "abstract poetry" based on assonance and alliteration and consider the literal secondary. I would suggest Dylan Thomas as one of the best abstract poets. Best wishes!
1/29/2018 5:40:41 PM

Key Keller
Hello Stephen,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your feedback. I labored intensively on this poem trying to convey what I was feeling and kept getting trapped in the rhyming aspect, like a car that keeps veering into the same rut. I changed it several times. It was probably at it's best the first time I wrote it and even then it was still slave to the rhyming. I really didn't feel good about posting it and your feedback confirm my initial feelings. I think the idea I was trying to convey is a good one, I just need to find a better, more natural way of expressing it. It wasn't just about unrequited love, or not supposed to be just about that. It was meant to be more about those people you encounter who are truly special and seem to exist in that place between humanity and godliness. At least as close to it as I know.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply. It was very helpful.
2/2/2018 6:09:40 PM

Jessica Amanda Salmonson
I disagree with Stephen insofar as aching long unrequited love evokes universal feelings. But it's true the form taken here is personal and makes one think of the poet, not of one's self, or of the "story" inherent to the poem. If the many references to myth and fantasy had been used literally, then that "story" would be of mythic desire, an actual fantasy, and increase in possible universality. Although poetry being a matter of taste, many will prefer just what was written, of personal angst, not a fairy tale which not everyone likes most, though I do.
2/9/2018 1:47:06 PM

Stephen Wilson-Floyd
Of course, people have different tastes in poetry. I didn't mean that this poem wouldn't evoke feelings beyond self, friends and family. I meant "a wider audience" of those who study and like poetry are pretty jaded (myself included). In my opinion, if one is trying to evoke an emotion in a reader, it should use surprising language. Unfortunately, for this kind of poem "unrequited love plus.." the language would have to be incredibly surprising because of the standard set so long ago by so many great writers. Best wishes to all!
2/11/2018 1:11:28 AM

Key Keller
Jessica and Stephen,
Thank you both for taking the time to comment on my poem. Jessica, I appreciate you reminding me that the value of our words are indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Stephen,
I certainly understand what you are trying to impress upon me. I realize I am no keats or Oscar Wilde. These are simply my feelings, words and thoughts, assembled to the best of my ability at the time. I appreciate your honesty as someone who studies a great deal of poetry. It's extremely helpful. Although it is a theme done many times by masters of the art, it is still theme unique to me in my particular moment. It is totally fair of you to convey to me that I need to dig deeper in my expression, to move you. That's helpful criticism.
3/3/2018 2:17:12 AM

Oliver Furlong
I loved reading this poem, despite its ancient ring to it. I guess it would have been nice to hear more of a description of her or it (if it's about a bird?).

Forum Home » High Critique » To Gaze Too Far