Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Wavedance..Id love your feedback

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
8/27/2017 3:25:44 PM

Lorna Caizley
Lace waves lap tender shore
Brush away layered sand
Erode this sodden land
Revealing something raw

A hypnotic deep trance

Horizon shrouded day
Clouds tumbling away
As the salty waves dance

As the salty waves dance
permalink • reply with quote
9/9/2017 3:35:18 AM

Jack Webster
Is this an attempt at trance poetry?
if it is, you should put a notice at the beginning of the poem so the reader is informed, just as a curtesy.

as far as the work goes, i was too busy stumbling over the words, description, meter to be lulled or disarmed by it.

also, you should be careful when you use a refrain twice in a row like that. the mind usually reads it literally the first time, then assumes there's a different meaning the second time and goes looking for more figurative interpretations. not sure what "salty waves" was intended to mean, but the second utterance was undesirable to me.
9/13/2017 10:42:36 AM

Lorna Caizley
Hi this is not in anyway and attempt at trance poetry...Just freestyle, but thank you for the suggestion. The refrain is about the salty waves and the salty tears that fall when emotions hit their peak. I appreciate your feedback...Thanks
9/13/2017 4:03:52 PM

Jack Webster
ooooh, okay. hmmm it might be more effective if you put in articles, a conjunctuon here and there and take out some lines that slow down the pace:

Lace waves lap the tender shore,
brushing away layers of sand,
revealing something
raw in the salty waves that dance.

If you'd like me to explain my suggested edits, I'm happy to. I think this is closer to what you're going for, but not sure.
9/14/2017 6:20:59 PM

jack belck
Before writing a poem you should ask yourself,"what am I trying to say or convey? What reaction do I want from the reader?" Simply entering words--"the purple wave asunder on the green hills" needs to be apart of something going somewhere. This poem is no more than a beginning description with too many loose ends.
9/22/2017 4:43:22 AM

Lorna Caizley
Thanks for your feedback, The poem is about emotion, how it comes in waves, it erodes us down, the numbness as we watch the dark horizon, to finally let the tears fall and find release. This is what I was hoping to construe.

Forum Home » High Critique » Wavedance..Id love your feedback