Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Agree to Disagree (A Sonnet)

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
6/25/2015 7:04:51 PM

Graphite Drug
Agree to Disagree

When the argument becomes personal
things are said that do not apply to all.
Speakers’ moods are no longer affable.
There is silence among people. They stall.

Do not speak of absolute politics.
Do not speak of absolute religion.
Change the subject, avoid theatrics.
Discussing sports is a wise decision.

Speak of the devil, here is our subject.
Change social cues like changing names.
Better to be relative than object.
Such are patterns in language games.

Communication can be difficult
if agreement must be its end result.
permalink • reply with quote
6/26/2015 10:10:59 AM

K.M North
Not bad man. Two things I'd change/add. During the third part I'd change Object to Objective. And I might just ad a bit more feeling to it. Maybe some spoken lines regarding what you are talking about maybe? It's nice and fun to read but kind of sounds like the back of a relationship-for-idiots guide book.
6/26/2015 6:11:57 PM

Graphite Drug
Reisenhoffer wrote:
Not bad man. Two things I'd change/add. During the third part I'd change Object to Objective. And I might just ad a bit more feeling to it. Maybe some spoken lines regarding what you are talking about maybe? It's nice and fun to read but kind of sounds like the back of a relationship-for-idiots guide book.

Do you know what a sonnet is? Look it up in "Poetry for Dummies."
7/6/2015 10:30:36 AM

K.M North
Sonnet or not, something well written in any form is still well written. A poem-sonnet-haiku that isn't well written is still poorly written
7/21/2015 1:45:16 PM

Robert Stoner Jr
I enjoyed the write would pass an idea for the line "Discussing sports is a wise decision." Where I come from sports conversations can be as dramatic as politics or religion. May I recommend "Discussing weather a wise decision". Talk of weather has a connotation of time passing conversation. This phrase also fits the 10 syllable count. The form works well and the message is clear and understandable.
7/22/2015 5:24:56 PM

Graphite Drug
rstonerjr wrote:
May I recommend "Discussing weather a wise decision". Talk of weather has a connotation of time passing conversation. This phrase also fits the 10 syllable count. The form works well and the message is clear and understandable.

Sports fan, your comment is appreciated. I do like your suggestion and have considered it. Regarding myself, people I have discussed sports with do take it seriously, but with people I have been with it has been a more friendly rivalry than anything heatedly political. From personal experience, sports fans seem to enjoy their discussions about their pass times and are able to joke about opposing views with less resentment (some Red Sox and Yankees fans excluded). Also from my own experience, weather is an introductory topic, while sports are a good change of subject.
edited by graphitedrug on 7/22/2015
1/17/2021 5:21:10 AM

bobfily
The sonnet is a key form of Renaissance and English culture. William Shakespeare outlined the boundaries and forms of rhyming for this poetic text. The main feature is the rhyming of the last two lines
1/20/2021 4:55:45 AM

lafnian1990
The main idea of the Renaissance is innovation in everything. Man became the center of the universe and man ceased to depend on medieval superstitions. Purity of thought and engineering achievements formed satire and tragicomedy.
1/22/2021 1:46:14 PM

L MILTON HANKINS
I think you should probably study some classic sonnets. I'm of the opinion that sonnets are written in iambic pentameter, have fourteen lines, and the last two lines rhyme. A sonnet may be more or less than this, but certainly this! I would have simply classified this poem as "quatrain."

Forum Home » High Critique » Agree to Disagree (A Sonnet)