Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » »

9/23/2014 6:02:40 PM

Bob Atkinson
Bingo Keith. The poetry establishment's let us down. Poetry, as they define it has gone down the tube. Yet, there's hope still:

arizona-poet.blogspot.com/2013/01/emotion-of-disgust-by-bob-atkinson.html
permalink • reply with quote
9/23/2014 6:05:02 PM

Bob Atkinson
Or, if you please Keith:

arizona-poet.blogspot.com/2013/04/18-stoic-faces-by-bob-atkinson.html
10/22/2014 9:24:30 PM

Gabe Shelly
I don't think your poems are what he meant Bob.
10/22/2014 9:57:14 PM

Bob Atkinson
Wordsworth, Gabe, said poetry should be written in conversational language. 18 Stoic Faces
describes my actual experiences at the "Poetry Center" at a Ginsberg Reading, vs. "The Eagles" singing the Poem "Lyin' Eyes." Would you say 18 count, for free, can compare to 10,000 seat count for an average seat cost of $200? I think not. We've so much work to do to see that Poetry, as a genre', equals or exceeds the other arts in popularity. 1st step: De-junking it.
9/23/2016 3:59:16 AM

Keith Logan
Not Clever

Allow me to express myself
collect each thought to mind,
reveal the muse, that twisted elf
observing from behind;
secure the secrets of my heart
to guard my weary soul,
infusing joy in ev’ry part
can, maybe make me whole.

Pertaining to my manic muse
(ostensibly a friend),
eternally he will abuse
my mind to his own end.

For me, for now, for ever,
unbridled poet never,
not least, as I’m not clever.
4/20/2017 4:43:49 PM

Robert Lindley
Keith Trestrail wrote:
I am discouraged at what passes for poetry these days. Poetry is not just an extension of our everyday speech on the written page; it's something far more. It is not just a series of cliches and random banal observations loosely tied together by a lazy weave of grammar and punctuation by writers unexposed to the nuances of the art form. Where is the clever use of language and literary device, and where is the rhythmic and aesthetic qualities that we read about in school from the pens (quills) of Shakespeare, Keats, Longfellow, Tennyson etc? I understand that language and styles evolve but I also understand that great poetry is timeless! When I read modern poets like Dylan Thomas or Eliot or Cummings or Plath or Hughes or, God forbid, the Beat Poets I just want to slit my wrists! Pretentious self-indulgence. Okay, not all of it but most of it. A lot of their work reads like it was written by a disinterested 7th grader! Not since Kipling and Oscar Wilde has their been a truly great poet. When I read some of the poems that win contests on this website I'm dumbstruck! Either I'm totally out of touch or I know nothing about the art of poetry. Which is it? Certainly, in my view, the golden age of poetry is well behind us. Would be interested to read your thoughts!
edited by Keith Trestrail on 8/21/2014
edited by Keith Trestrail on 9/2/2014

I make no claim to greatness in poetry but you are dead on the mark,IMHO.
MODERN POETRY BY AND LARGE IS BUT A PALE IMITATION OF THE GOLDEN ERA AND LEGENDARY POETS THAT GAVE US THE CLASSICS, AND BY WAY OF THEIR WORKS-- SENT US ON OUR JOURNEYS.
That is --if we are real poets, striving to write real poetry..
I am sad when I see shallow and uninspiring poems written as deliberate plastic copies of a classic greats.
Best to use ones favorite poets as learning guides, instead of gods to mimic.
4/24/2017 8:10:32 AM

Paulette Calasibetta
Robert Lindley wrote:
Keith Trestrail wrote:
I am discouraged at what passes for poetry these days. Poetry is not just an extension of our everyday speech on the written page; it's something far more. It is not just a series of cliches and random banal observations loosely tied together by a lazy weave of grammar and punctuation by writers unexposed to the nuances of the art form. Where is the clever use of language and literary device, and where is the rhythmic and aesthetic qualities that we read about in school from the pens (quills) of Shakespeare, Keats, Longfellow, Tennyson etc? I understand that language and styles evolve but I also understand that great poetry is timeless! When I read modern poets like Dylan Thomas or Eliot or Cummings or Plath or Hughes or, God forbid, the Beat Poets I just want to slit my wrists! Pretentious self-indulgence. Okay, not all of it but most of it. A lot of their work reads like it was written by a disinterested 7th grader! Not since Kipling and Oscar Wilde has their been a truly great poet. When I read some of the poems that win contests on this website I'm dumbstruck! Either I'm totally out of touch or I know nothing about the art of poetry. Which is it? Certainly, in my view, the golden age of poetry is well behind us. Would be interested to read your thoughts!
edited by Keith Trestrail on 8/21/2014
edited by Keith Trestrail on 9/2/2014

I make no claim to greatness in poetry but you are dead on the mark,IMHO.
MODERN POETRY BY AND LARGE IS BUT A PALE IMITATION OF THE GOLDEN ERA AND LEGENDARY POETS THAT GAVE US THE CLASSICS, AND BY WAY OF THEIR WORKS-- SENT US ON OUR JOURNEYS.
That is --if we are real poets, striving to write real poetry..
I am sad when I see shallow and uninspiring poems written as deliberate plastic copies of a classic greats.
Best to use ones favorite poets as learning guides, instead of gods to mimic.
4/24/2017 8:10:51 AM

Paulette Calasibetta
AMEN!
5/16/2017 2:17:49 AM

Samuel Opara
Aprayser, you are closer to being a true poet than most of these elitist individuals. Poetry is expression, but it is also communication, and people(poets) are dynamically different. Philosophically speaking, what you call "junk" is what gives you comparative perspective to appreciate Kipling and the like. If all poetry were good, then there'd be nothing special about good poetry.
12/8/2018 3:00:14 PM

Lunita blanca
Someone once said. "Most of the poets of today have the spider's talent of spinning but not her art of weaving."
12/16/2018 6:59:41 PM

Wendy Nipas
I do believe that the time we're living in shapes people's thoughts, feelings, aspects that play an important role in being creative and becoming inspired. Not to say that poets writing poetry not really to our liking are not inspired. It's just the difference in inspiration I guess. And of course technicality will suffer. Personally I love the story within the poem. It should never become too complicated. A lot of poetry nowadays seems forced, almost mysterious and unrelatable. Bring back the story, make it real. Poetry, especially published poetry should deliver a message. What or who does it serve when the message does not come across? Has language become more complicated? I would think not. And poetry was not supposed to be understood only by 'professionals'. If I'm not mistaken, the works of the greats were read and understood by everyday people as well.I don't know. I do NOT consider myself a professional, but I dare to think I do know a good poem when I see one, simply because it tells a good STORY. These are my humble thoughts on the matter. All the best.

Forum Home » »