Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » Hypergraphia Happy

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
3/9/2014 5:39:10 AM

Brian Cooper
Hello to all new and experienced poets,
I would like to have written a short little poem of an introduction, but it might be seen as overkill and not a good read with so little preparation.
If you’ve read any of my poems, you’ve probably guessed I’m different from most here. I do suffer andappreciate the mental condition I have. It gives me words sometimes that flow from mind to pen faster than I can write or type. Doctors have used the term hypergraphia for it. The words may not be the best organization, flow, structure, or whatever it’s not in a professional literary sense, but I find it a therapeutic release of energy that not only satisfies my soul but satisfies a need to accomplish something in an otherwise mundane life.
I plan to study a little each day the resources available to me to improve, so please don’t be shy to point out how I can improve if you’d like. My condition does have its little moments but no ill will will be harbored at all for negative feedback with a suggestion on how to improve. I have survived 20 years on the job without incident, so I can certainly take a few negative words from those new and those professionals who may view my “work”.
Oh, and yes, I have been diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy due to head injuries sustained but some doctors believe Ialso have Bipolar I Disorder with hallucinations and some say maybe both. Iwrite about what I know to hopefully not infringe on any work already done. That and I need a serious subject usually to write about.
Thank you all who have already welcomed me in your comments on my first poem “The Glass” and those who commented on others. I appreciate the readers without comment too. My best to you all until next time I feel the need to write… which will be soon haha.
permalink • reply with quote
3/18/2014 3:11:31 PM

Margaret Franceschini
Hi Brian: Welcome to poetry Soup. I just came across your post while searching through as I am trying to get familiar with all this new areas of learning especially learning from everyone here.
Hope to read some of your writings as soon as you start posting. keep in touch!
3/19/2014 3:51:32 PM

Teresa Godwin
Hi Brian, I too am new to Soup. You said many things that were my sentiments as well concerning, wanting the valuable critique of these fine poets. I have been blessed and overwhelmed positively by the kind words from the poets and, the beautiful things written here. I am still learning my way around too. It's gonna take a while for me but, hey I'm so in to learning all this stuff! We'll just pace ourselves and take it one day at the time. ~Teresa

Forum Home » Introductions » Hypergraphia Happy