Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » Introductions » Metamorphoses of Ovid

New to PoetrySoup? Introduce yourself here. Tell us something about yourself.
11/29/2012 8:14:32 PM

George Zamalea
I’ve finished reading last night Ovid’s Metamorphoses andfor the first time I understood how powerful this book is. First I read italmost struggling from its original in Latin and then in French. Couples ofyears later I read Metamorphoses of Ovid from Rolfe Humphries’ translation thatit is very good indeed. Finally, Igrasped a Penguin Book’s copy, dated 1955, which the epic invocation isexcellent. You must have it in mind it’s written in prose. I enjoyed BOOK FOUR, BOOK EIGHT & BOOKTHIRTEEN. There is indeed a pool ofexpression and weight for those who love poetry; they must read it. I recommendyou to giving a try.
permalink • reply with quote
11/29/2012 8:30:04 PM

George Zamalea
Although the “Metamorphoses” is not described in the public’seye like a passion of strength, except for a few students, how do you thepoetry make it as an example of inspiration and how do you feel about it?
For me believe it or not I always feel dominated by Ovid’sworld and I keep looking at myself in that world what he has created socompelling. But for those who have read him, are you feeling the same way?
11/29/2012 8:56:59 PM

George Zamalea
Who is Ovid really?
His name was Publius Ovidius Naso. Born in 43 BC at Sulmo inthe Abruzzi region during the civil war that followed the assassination ofJulius Caesar. I do believe Metamorphoses of Ovid is the most effecton later literature. The telling of stories must have been one of the earliestforms of entertainment but it has lost none of its fascination. Here suchdescription of this genius:
But she, with never achange in her expression,
Drove the knife homethrough breast, through side, one wound,
Enough to kill him,but she made another,
Cutting the throat,and they cut up the body
Still living, stillkeeping something of the spirit,
And part of the fleshleaped in the boiling kettles,
Part hissed on turningskewers, and the room
Dripped blood.

It’s just a masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino’s movies.
Or

And yet – how often ithappens! –
No joy is evercomplete, and sorrow always
Intrudes on happiness,so, to Aegeus,
Rejoicing had ananxious cloud above it.
Joy versus sorrow versus happiness versus sorrow. Ovid loves this twisted, despair feeling andhe does it always absolutely brilliant.

Forum Home » Introductions » Metamorphoses of Ovid