Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » »

12/19/2012 11:53:23 AM

Mark Syman
I find that writing a free verse is quite easy when you have an idea and a subject.
permalink • reply with quote
12/31/2012 3:28:16 PM

Evan Thomas
It seems that writing free verse is a good way to start for the new poet. Many times when attempting to cram thoughts into a rhyme scheme, some lines will feel contrived because the poet formed the line and thought around the rhyme instead of forming the thought and fitting it to the rhyme. Free verse therefore frees you from this side of rhyming.
11/9/2013 1:16:44 PM

Just That Archaic Poet
Sorry, but I must disagree with this premise. I think "free-verse" and its non-rhyming ilk are the easiest poems in the world to write and that they take very little talent to compose. Any hack can slap down seemingly "profound" drivel and prattle and proclaim it as "poetry". Rhyme takes true skill and mastery. I have little respect for free-verse and its ilk.
1/7/2014 12:24:33 PM

Sue k Green
My understanding of 'free verse' is just that. Free from any set pattern with a rhythm all its own, found in the thoughts expressed and the rhythm of the word flow.
12/27/2016 6:58:29 PM

Doug Vinson
I'm wondering if people are mistaking blank verse - which has a regular meter, commonly iambic pentameter in English - with free verse.

Forum Home » »