Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Critique please & thank you! :) (Revised work)

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
10/21/2019 1:12:02 PM

Laine Lubar
Fire like anger,
wrap heat around the moist
parts of me,
pink membranes
exposed to cold.

Fire like anger, burn
away the feeling of
knobby fingers in tiny spaces,
twisting gossamer fabric
tearing silky skin.

Fire like anger,
cauterize my childhood,
fill gaps in memory with
bloated fabricated
pictures of sweet
childhood, darkly edged,
the easy lie the willful
believe.

Fire like anger, shut
my eyes, let me
flinch from your
light, your heat,
away from the passion
of languid bodies
undulating under the summer sun,
away from warm
fingers slipped
into mine tingling
pads rubbing
in secret.

Fire like anger,
char my useless
bones, the transparent
muscles under
bulbous weight.

Fire like anger
explode, incinerate
me, imprint me on
the sidewalk, the shadow
of me never illuminated
permalink • reply with quote
10/21/2019 8:31:21 PM

Jack Webster
👏👏👏

The stanzas are well divided. They each stand alone but also paint a bigger picture together.

The refrain at the beginning of each stanza is particularly effective. The ‘f’ sound in particular grows increasingly intense. In the context of fire, the refrain creates a sense of the fire spreading, continuing on from the first stanza. Your choices to place burn and shut at the end of the refrain in stanzas 2 and 4 work really well - the pause before and after each word, the plosive ‘b’, the voiced ‘t’, and choice of monosyllabic words all convey a force and intensity that could not be attained even with all caps.

Your line break in line two really successfully voices a silent horror of speaking line three. The delicacy of the euphemism in line three very successfully captures a sense of innocence and or helplessness - that little bit beneath the anger, the quiet place that can only say “why?”

There is a really fantastic alliterative run in stanza 2 between the b in burn and the b in knobby and o in knobby and the o in gossamer, also the t in tiny tearing and twisting.

The image in stanza 5 of transparent muscles is really unique and memorable.

The last two lines are also really wonderful. Might I suggest ‘The Shadow of Me’ as the title?

Great write! You’re really able to grasp the use of sound to add the nonverbal element to communicate intangible parts of your poem; wonderful to read.

Realize I haven’t offered much in the way of improvement; if there is something specific you would like feedback on, happy to help if I can.
permalink • reply with quote

Forum Home » High Critique » Critique please & thank you! :) (Revised work)