Book: Shattered Sighs

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » Dust and Heavy Stone

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
10/15/2018 5:03:31 AM

Cynthia Panakkal
Dust and Heavy Stone

For dust youare and to dust you will return

I
Gold-platedwooden overcoats house the mighty dead
Enveloped with preciousstone and Heavens pavements
Their unwavering,towering triangles of sand, boasting a life of desire, recognition, admiration
Hiding a lifeof exploitation and fear
The fear ofnormalcy
Ending, with thedoubtless thought of everlasting sovereignty
Seeming to fillup a gaping crevice
Only to find itsnatched away, rupturing the rift further into the desolate depth of distress
In death, itwill all be whisked away, life’s meaning will decay and the straw that remainswill be nothing but dust
Heads of theyouth full with dust
Desiring whatis wanted, not needed, ignorant of the needy and meek seeking for their DailyBread
Times of metalbirds and horses do not change past convictions, otherwise it would be told asstories of old
Whispers andsighs of what once was…

II
The world is theirhouse, not a home
A land,
flowing
with
milk
and honey…
A promise, a distantdream, a resting place
A land
The Saved alwayssearching, scavenging for satisfaction through endless days
Finding nothingin the harsh bellows of the wind, braving a sun so relentless
Fearingtomorrow
A stone hit forthe crying children
Flowing
Still notenough to satisfy their thirst for safety and security
An empty houseand black words on flimsy paper, prolonging their need for food with happy andsharp friends
Minds andbodies that rot
Their onlyplace of security
A land

III
Heavy stonecarrying seeds finds the gaping crevice, planting its feet firmly into the desolatedepth
Overflowing
Straw crushedand turned to dust
Seeds plantedand overflowing the crevice
The thirsty,hydrated, the hungry, full
Milk andHoney
Need for theirDaily Bread, satisfied
IV
Grime coated woodenover-coats house the weak dead
Enveloped withunseen glory
Their moving,sunken graves of stone, boasting of a life of hardship, deprivation and need
Uncovering alife of desire and admiration
Desiring theneeded, not wanted
Leaving behindthe straw and dust of their previous lives
Aware of theempty sovereigns seeking for straw but braving the now green and lush forest,accepting their Daily bread
permalink • reply with quote
10/24/2018 8:08:35 PM

Frank Frank
Let's just start with the first two lines: "Gold-plated wooden overcoats house the mighty dead / Enveloped with precious stone and Heavens pavements"

Okay, image of gilded wooden coffins, what we call caskets - not too bad. What if you used "overcoat" as a verb and dropped "house"? "Gold-plated wood overcoats the mighty dead"?

"Enveloped": how are the caskets enveloped? by earth, but precious stones - don't get that at all. And "Heavens pavements": maybe referring to headstones? Should probably be "Heaven's pavement" - I don't know what "pavements" plural means.

The rest of part I just loses me. What are you trying to say? Not aided by the missing spaces between some words. Maybe you could edit and fix that.

Parts II and III seem to shift away from the tone of part I - but to what, I don't know. Seems kind of jumbled and nonsensical in places. "A stone hit for the crying children": what does that mean?
12/2/2018 1:30:44 AM

Jack Webster
I think the poem would be stronger if it were simplified.

Especially when attempting something on an epic scale speaking plainly, with organized thought and image is especially critical, so the reader is not drowned in the sand at the bottom of eternity's hourglass.

Section 1

The first section is describing the privilage, conceit, predatory nature of the pharohs of old Egypt, in biblical times. Their desire to keep their wealth and power even in death is contrasted with the author's vision of mortality, the view that death strips us of all our worldly wealth and power.

The first section transitions to a contemporary timeframe and speaks about the youth.

My opinion is that each of these need to be individual stanzas in section 1. (first stanza) S.i: Pharohs (second stanza) S.ii: Death (you must treat Death as its own Power, not merely mention it in passing) (third stanza) S.iii: contemporary youth.

There is a hidden metaphor you should consider. Part of the mummification process is removing the brain of the pharoh so it does not rot and spoil the corpse. (if i remember correctly) A hot iron poker was forced through the nose of the corpse and swirled to sizzle and liquify the brain, which was drained out of the nose of the corpse. I would focus on this aspect of the death ritual in S.i when you are talking about the phraohs, THEN this sets up a metaphor in S.iii when you speak about the youth. You could quip something like: thoughtfulness drained from their upturned noses, their heads as empty as pharohs buried in gold.

Keep the set up simple and plain spoken, and rely on metaphors, and comparing and contrasting the images to provide the complexity.

Section 2

The second section is confusing because "they" is not clear. The last people to be spoken of in the poem is the youth, yet second 2 seems to be talking about the have nots that get overlooked. Section 2 needs clarity.

Section 3

The Third section is also unclear. It seems to be a continuation of the second section. It seems to be describing the after work of a harvest, replanting, milling flour, crushing the straw to make bricks? The third section also needs clarity.

Section 4

The fourth section smartly works to bookend the poem by returning to the original image and re-exploring it in a new light now the theme has been expounded upon. The fourth se tion also needs clarity, but perhaps only because sections 2 and 3 are unclear.

The poem plays with the distinction between need and want, some pursuimg what they want but do not need and others pursuing what they need, either because they are not in a,position to pursue their wants, or because they are content with their needs.

The poem seems to be illustrating how the haves think they have it all, and make others miserable getting what they want, but leave life empty handed, whereas the have nots have the opportunity to be content and untempted and find a sustaince in their faith, that they leave this life full of something that Death cannot take from them.

I think it's an earnest beginning. I would continue hammering out the details. Resist the urge to rely on maxims instead of imagery, metaphor, and contrasting and comparing the images. Let the images speak for themselves.

good luck!
12/2/2018 1:34:22 AM

Jack Webster
specifically you need to clarify the stone. you mention it several times. if it is a millstone, you need to say so plainly. A stone is a heavy burden, but a millstone let's one make flour, make bread, etc... A millstone is a burden worth having. if it is a millstone, that makes its symbolic nature just as significant as death, phraoh, the youth, daily bread, etc... if it is a millstone it should be treated as its own Power.
edited by superlativedeleted on 12/2/2018

Forum Home » High Critique » Dust and Heavy Stone