Book: Reflection on the Important Things

Get Your Premium Membership

Poetry Forum

home recent topics recent posts search faq

Forum Home » High Critique » no form

For poets who want unrestricted constructive criticism. This is NOT a vanity workshop. If you do not want your poem seriously critiqued, do not post here. Constructive criticism only. PLEASE Only Post One Poem a Day!!!
5/10/2018 12:25:53 PM

bonnie dodd
must what you write follow a form to be considered a poem? Im new to all this and am finding out there are all these rules to follow when writing poetry. all these words, definitions, rules, formats which i've never heard of before and dont have a clue what most of them means. I just sat down one day and started writing about true events in my life trying to make the last word rhyme with the next last word and called it a poem. are these 5 poems I wrote not considered poem? can I enter them in a poetry contest? what form would i call them?
please help
permalink • reply with quote
5/13/2018 6:20:03 AM

keith osborne
The first rule of poetry is.....there are no rules. Sure there are countless forms (within which there are rules), but ultimately it's about expression. I have read your 5 and found 5 poems that obviously comes fromyour heart.Do NOT get caught up in what some of the pompous "know-it-alls" on this site might say about "fixing" your poetry. NO ONE here is a professional. I'm not saying that there aren't some on here htat will give solid advice. Just be wary of who'sadvice you take and how it affects the true meaning of your work. I guess what I am trying to say is...don't compromise the integrity of your work to please someone else. Unfortunately rhyme is not very well respected (I know, it's the majority of what I write), but I would notlet that deter you from writing what you feel - in whateveer form you are most comfortable with. Just write m'lady.
5/16/2018 10:58:42 AM

Constance La France
these can be entered as Free Verse --which can rhyme or not, free verse is just a rambling poem of thoughts, you can write one long rambling thing or divide it in verses, no need to be the same line length, for example one could be 3 lines, the next 5, the next 10 etc etc. I like my free verse with fragmented line lengths of short and long, or open end thoughts... throw in a few metaphors, can have punctuation or not. When entering a contest just make sure free verse can be used, many will specify Free Verse or say Any Form, you have to read the contest description to find out. Hope this helps. I do not claim to be an expert of free verse,( or any form,) this is just my opinion and I have won many a free verse contest on this site using this method.
edited by constance_ on 5/16/2018
edited by constance_ on 5/16/2018
5/30/2018 10:30:21 PM

bonnie dodd
thank you all for your input my questions were pretty much answered
thank you again

Forum Home » High Critique » no form